Need a little help with my new system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broy

Reaction score
Alright guys I'm a long time lurker and this is my first post because I can't seem to figure out why I can't hit my numbers on my new system.

I have a 15 gallon E-Herms setup that I have been using for the past 6 months. Just finished my 5th batch of beer and even after trying to read as much as I can on here I am still having trouble hitting almost all of my SG's.

I have been recirculating my mash after the initial mash in and slowly stepping my temperatures up from 145-168 for mash out. I then fly sparge and collect the required amount in my boil kettle. I check my final runnings and usually have plenty of wort in my kettle when they are only at 1.015. I take a reading after mixing it up a bit in my kettle and I'm usually 5-7 points low for my pre boil SG. I'll start the boil add my hops and wait the usual amount of time and I'll see very small gains to my SG by the end of the boil.

For example the beer I made today was supposed to be 1.050 pre boil and 1.060 post. I took readings pre boil and got 1.043 which is okay at just shy of 72% efficiency but I'm looking to do better. Post boil I was only at 1.047 OG and I'm at a loss as to why I can't seem to make the numbers.

I feel like a total noob after brew day every damn time. What am I doing wrong? Anything will help and thanks god knows I need it at this point. :confused: :mug:

You need to determine if you are losing efficiency to poor conversion or poor lautering. For a 1.050 pre-boil SG, you should readily be able to achieve an 82% mash efficiency, with conversion efficiency better than 90% (95% would be better.) You can measure your conversion efficiency using the method here. If your conversion efficiency is low, look at getting a finer crush, and or mashing longer. If your conversion efficiency is good, and your mash efficiency is low, then it's due to low lauter efficiency, in which case you should try batch sparging. It's easier to do a good batch sparge than a good fly sparge.

Brew on :mug:

You need to determine if you are losing efficiency to poor conversion or poor lautering. For a 1.050 pre-boil SG, you should readily be able to achieve an 82% mash efficiency, with conversion efficiency better than 90% (95% would be better.) You can measure your conversion efficiency using the method here. If your conversion efficiency is low, look at getting a finer crush, and or mashing longer. If your conversion efficiency is good, and your mash efficiency is low, then it's due to low lauter efficiency, in which case you should try batch sparging. It's easier to do a good batch sparge than a good fly sparge.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks for the advise! I ran the formula in the article you posted and looks like my conversion yesterday was only at 65%. I had 28 lbs of grain and 10 gal of water for my mash. My first runnings into the kettle were at 1.053. Obviously something is wrong there. I think it has to do with the recirculation and possible channeling that I am creating during the mash. I'm also wondering if I didn't mash long enough since I tried to step mash yesterday for the first time but I didn't change the length of the mash. I mashed in at 157 shooting for 145 to hold for 30 min then I ramped up to 154 for another 30 and then 168 for 10 and then fly sparged at 168. I think I need to slow the rate of the fly sparge to get better results.

I'm getting low lauter efficiency based on the article and my improper use of fly sparging. Overall I think I need to slow down and get back to the basics. I may try to batch sparge next time to see if I get better results.

Thank again

1.050 to 1.060 means the recipe figured a 20% boil-off.
1.043 to 1.047 means you got a 10% boil-off.
Either a measurement was wrong, or you need to adjust the recipe for your boil-off rate.

As for the efficiency, the most common culprits are poor crush or insufficient stirring. I have to wonder though if you are so concerned about channeling that you reduce the recirculation flow too much and it is denaturing during it's trip through the HERMS.

Thanks for the advise! I ran the formula in the article you posted and looks like my conversion yesterday was only at 65%. I had 28 lbs of grain and 10 gal of water for my mash. My first runnings into the kettle were at 1.053. Obviously something is wrong there. I think it has to do with the recirculation and possible channeling that I am creating during the mash. I'm also wondering if I didn't mash long enough since I tried to step mash yesterday for the first time but I didn't change the length of the mash. I mashed in at 157 shooting for 145 to hold for 30 min then I ramped up to 154 for another 30 and then 168 for 10 and then fly sparged at 168. I think I need to slow the rate of the fly sparge to get better results.

I'm getting low lauter efficiency based on the article and my improper use of fly sparging. Overall I think I need to slow down and get back to the basics. I may try to batch sparge next time to see if I get better results.

Thank again

I would think this would be easy to test for. Do a batch without recirculating during the mash. The mash doesn't need it. Once your mash is over and you have decent conversion (stir it up and check gravity) then you can start recirculating to do the step.

Back