Need a little help designing my control panel...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSD_Glass

Reaction score
Hey, everybody.

Like so many of you, I'm ready to move my brewery inside. I have a 10 gallon HLT and a keggle BK. Cooler MLT.

I've built and run an electric glass studio for the last 7 years, so I'm familiar with control panel builds and ssr's and pid's and whanot but I need a little help with this control panel.

I'm building a 2 pid, 2 ssr control panel with spst toggle switches to control the three contactors (main and per circuit) and the 2 pumps (only have one, but might as well wire for 2). I would like indicator lights when the panel is hot, when each power circuit is potentially hot (BK, HLT contactor on before SSR) and when each element is actually firing (after the ssr) and I would like a e-stop switch. I'll probably rarely fire both elements at the same time, but I'd like to be able to if I want to , so the extra SSR instead of switching it like a lot of guys do.

Here's my proposed power run (for the big power circuits) 50 amp spa panel gfci to cord into the panel to a 50 amp 2 pole contactor (from auber) to terminal block(s) to 30 amp (fuse or circuit breaker?) to 30 amp 2 pole contactor (per circuit) to SSR to outlet. I like to be able to positively disconnect my SSR controlled outlets with the contactors. I think I'm going to run 4500 lwd elements in BK and HLT. I might bump the BK or HLT to 5500 watt later if I see a need.

What I already have:

all cords/outlets for power in and out
(2) RTD's from Auber and in out cables/sockets
(2) Auber 2352 pid's
(1) 40 amp (50 resistive) 2 pole contactor from auber (panel main on)
(2) 30 amp 2 pole contactors from auber (BK and HLT circuit on/off)
(2) 40 amp SSR'd from auber with external mount heat sinks
14x16x8 inch nema panel (new from ebay)'

What I think I still need to order:
kill switch (e-stop)/resistors to make it work
terminal strips for power breakout/distribution with jumpers
ring terminals/terminal lugs
cord management stuff
fuse blocks/inline connectors (for the small stuff like protecting the pid's) OR circuit breakers (I don't know enough to choose)
5 indicator lamps (master on, BK on, HLT on, BK firing, HLT firing)

It would be really cool if someone could explain to me why breakers vs fuses and which direction to go for indicator lights (120v vs 240v, incandescent vs led...) It'd be SUPER COOL if someone could post a wiring diagram for me. I think I've got it all in my head but it's nice to have a hard copy too.

Thanks in advance.

Here's to having electric beer this summer.

BSD

Latest posts

Back