Need a "great' IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasert39

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So here's the deal, I got the green light to transform our basement vintage refrigerator into a kegerator...when its all said and done, 3 pin locks will fit and I will be a very happy guy.

Anyway, this next batch I brew (next weekend hopefully) will be the first batch to get kegged. I want to brew a really good IPA to go in there first, should I go buy the Austin Stone IPA clone or somebody have something better for me? I willing to listen to all options, but here are the basics...

- obviously using extract
- doing a full boil
- i loved hops

looking forward to your help!

Even so-called non-beer drinkers have liked my Cockpuncher IPA:

10 lb Light LME
.5 lb Crystal 60
.3 lb Crystal 120
.5 lb Victory Malt
2 oz Willamette for 60 min
2 oz Cascade for 30 min
1 oz Cascade for 20 min
1 oz Cascade for 10 min
1 oz Cascade for 2-5 min
2 pkgs US-05 Yeast

I steep at 150-160 for 30 min.

10 lb Light LME
.5 lb Crystal 60
.3 lb Crystal 120
.5 lb Victory Malt
2 oz Cascade for 30 min
1 oz Cascade for 20 min
1 oz Cascade for 10 min
1 oz Cascade for 2-5 min
2 pkgs US-05 Yeast

I'm assumig this is for a standard 5 gallon batch? I may try to scale this back to 3 gallons and give it a try.

I am a big fan of the Amarillo IPA recipe (extract).

Check it out in the IPA recipes - I am brewing my second batch and plan to dry hop.

Good luck!

If you get the brewers best ipa kit and follow the directions to a "t", (which are wrong by the way) calling for 1 oz columbus and 1 oz williamette (i believe) at 60 minutes, then 1 oz cascade at 5 minutes, you get a very bitter, no hop flavor beer... However, if you rack it to secondary after a week, let it sit in secondary for a week then dry hop it for 2 weeks with 1.5oz cascade you get a beer that has a medium body, tons of citrusy hop aroma, good bitterness with semi-sweet hop flavor, gorgeous color and almost grapefruit late palate and finish. I "ruined" my very first brew by following the directions, and managed to salvage it with some time and a good dose of dry hopping. Fizzy yellow beer drinkers can't hardly stand it (but what CAN they drink anyway?), but so far everyone who drinks real beer has absolutely LOVED it. That kit isn't especially cheap, but it makes a damn fine drink.

Cheers :mug:

I am a big fan of the Amarillo IPA recipe (extract).

Check it out in the IPA recipes - I am brewing my second batch and plan to dry hop.

Good luck!

I just bottled that same recipe about a week ago. Tasted and smelled great going into the bottles. Can't wait to drink it.

I just bottled that same recipe about a week ago. Tasted and smelled great going into the bottles. Can't wait to drink it.

Nice!! Try some early - though you are waiting for carbing. I just did another batch and plan to dry hop this time around for 2 weeks. It is going to be a hard wait. Great thing about the recipe is that it is so simple, yet so good...

10 lb Light LME
.5 lb Crystal 60
.3 lb Crystal 120
.5 lb Victory Malt
2 oz Cascade for 30 min
1 oz Cascade for 20 min
1 oz Cascade for 10 min
1 oz Cascade for 2-5 min
2 pkgs US-05 Yeast