Necessary to age mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlasch771

Reaction score
I am making my 4th batch and it has more sugar than honey.

I'm wondering if we age mead for flavor or for alcohol content?

I mean can I drink my homebrew after a week? 3 days or do I have to wait 6 months

Most of the mazer's I know will age their meads for an average of 12-18 months. But I guess you can always make a small batch, bottle it early, and see what happens.

You can drink it anytime you want. Normally, meads are higher alcohol like wine, and can be very "hot" and boozy tasting until it mellows with some time. If that doesn't bother you, then you can drink it anytime.

Normally, you wait for fermentation to be finished and for the mead to be clear before bottling so there is no sediment falling out before bottling. I don't want floaties or sediment in my bottles. That may take some time.

Once it's clear, and no longer dropping any lees at all after at least 60 days, then it's ok to bottle it.

If sediment and cloudiness aren't a concern and you don't mind that, then you don't have to wait.

Depends on a couple of factors, I think. Like Yooper said, sometimes you've got to wait for the heat to die down. But what I'm dealing with on my most recent batch are some very strong, bitter flavors from the orange peel that I put in my mead. It's been a month, so I cracked open a bottle last night and found that the flavors have mellowed a little bit. It's looking like another couple months of waiting are ahead of me.

Back