Nearly 3 weeks at 10 psi, still no carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead10

Reaction score
I have plenty of gas in the tank, valve is open and the CO2 is hooked up to the corny. After nearly 3 weeks in the keg, still very minimal carbonation. Any tips? I have the keg at around 40 deg F....

That is fairly strange. Just to make sure the C02 is flowing, have you pulled the PRV to see if more gas flows in?

Perhaps gas is not entering the KEG? I don't seem to be losing much on the gauge.

I turned it up to 12/13 psi to see if it makes a difference.

If there is no surgar pitched into the keg, would it still carbonate slightly just based off of regular fermentation?

My first, and very simple, thought is that your keg might not have a good seal and is leaking. That's happened to me before, although luckily I heard it hissing right away and fixed it. However, you'd probably be noticing your gas gauge dropping dramatically if this were the case (like it would be empty by now).

Another thought (and I'm just spitballing here) is that perhaps the quick disconnect is not quite properly attached. Most of the time they are perfectly easy to get on, but I have had one or two that just didn't like a particular keg and had a hard time actually fully clicking into place.

Others may have more insightful suggestions, but I hope this at least helps a little...

Perhaps gas is not entering the KEG? I don't seem to be losing much on the gauge.

I turned it up to 12/13 psi to see if it makes a difference.

If there is no surgar pitched into the keg, would it still carbonate slightly just based off of regular fermentation?

Like I mentioned earlier, one of the easiest was to see if its making in into the keg is pull your pressure relief valve and listen for your tank to refill the keg. If the pressure doesn't come back up, the C02 isn't making it in to the keg.

While adding sugar and waiting for the yeast to produce the carbonation is a viable option, many of us use just C02 to carb, no sugar necessary.

Yes, make sure the tank is flowing gas into the keg. QDs can rarely not open when connected. The pin in the Qd might not be giving way, and keeping gas from entering. Check for gas flowing into the keg by opening the purge valve (If you have one) or by removing the gas QD and pressing the post valve with something to see if pressurized gas will come out.

If you do not see any gas pressure in the keg, then work backwards from the gas QD to the tank to find the obstruction.

"burp" the keg. does much CO2 come out and can you hear it being replaced in the keg? could have a small leak, or blockage in gas line...

***beat me.... I should hit refresh before replying....

Another overlooked aspect other than the obvious leaking keg is the amount of headspace. Is your keg filled to the brim with little headspace for the C02? I noticed this myself a couple times. I burst carb my kegs at 40 psi for one day then back to 10 psi for another day or two to level out. This has worked well for me most of the times except a couple times when the beer still came out flat. Check what your beer level is and make sure you have enough head space for C02 to actually enter into the keg. If its full just pour a couple of flat pints to make room.

Another overlooked aspect other than the obvious leaking keg is the amount of headspace. Is your keg filled to the brim with little headspace for the C02? I noticed this myself a couple times. I burst carb my kegs at 40 psi for one day then back to 10 psi for another day or two to level out. This has worked well for me most of the times except a couple times when the beer still came out flat. Check what your beer level is and make sure you have enough head space for C02 to actually enter into the keg. If its full just pour a couple of flat pints to make room.

I think this actually may be the issue. I made an effort this batch to have more volume prior to ferm and think I overdid it a little bit. I was tired of low yields in the past. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Back