Near Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whattawort

Reaction score
So my bro isn't allowed to imbibe but loves beer and has asked me to if I can do a near beer for him. I was thinking a bitter and mash low. Suggestions are welcome.

Really depends what you mean by a near beer. 4% ABV? 2% ABV? Less than 1%? There are ways to drive off alcohol from brewed beer before carbonating, albeit at the host of much of your hops flavor.

Make any recipe you like, ferment as normal then after fermentation boil out the alcohol.

That is the short course in making near beer.

Oh so you basically want to make a traditional session beer.

Take recipe and scale back to reach target OG. You can do it easily in Beersmith (if you use it), the final product will probably taste a bit light on flavor but depending on the recipe you should be able to replicate pretty close to exact flavor of original.

There is a basic brewing video where they did a 100% rye beer that finished with a very low abv (sub 3 I believe) and they said that it didn't feel that light. Just another option...

Love to get detail on boiling off the alcohol from the group...

Would another option be to distill the beer to get the alcohol off (maybe have a moonshine) then cool and bottle the wash in the distiller? also guessing that you would need to use CO2 to make it bubbly....

Back