Nbrewer Smashing Pumpkin Kit Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcbrewmeister

Reaction score
Ok I know it is spring but for me pumpkin beer is good any time of the year. I am planning on brewing northern brewers smashing pumpkin extract kit as a trial before brewing in quantity and tweaking recipes this fall. Before I order the kit and brew I have a few questions.

1) they suggest using 6 row when using actual "vegetables" in the brew. Is this necessary when using canned pumpkin. If so what is the purpose and what exactly do I need to do here.

2) from ppl who have completed this kit what would you/have you changed?

3) any pumpkin ale extract recipes that are worth trying after this one, not necessarily kits?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have not brewed this kit. However, I found an extract recipe that I plan on brewing in June to bottle then in July to keg. Its called "Charlies First Pumpkin." I found it on here somewhere, it is a bit involved as it requires baking the pumpkin first, but I tend to like involved recipes.

The few pumpkin recipes I have seen also mentioned baking pieces of whole pumpkin before hand.

However, I'm also planning to do a pumpkin beer that'll be ready by fall, but since actual pumpkins won't be available, I will probably use canned.

I brewed this last august. Had it ready for October. First pumpkin beer so I followed the instructions exactly. Turned out quite good. Got even better with age. If anything I would have added a tsp or so more of each spice. I believe they are ginger, allspice and cinnamon?

Anyway... good luck!

I tried this kit, and it was good but the pumpkin and spice flavor was almost nonexistent till 4 was in bottle, and then still barely noticeable. I would add a lil more spices otherwise follow recipe. I'm sure whole pumpkin would make a diff, but since I've never used it can't comment on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've made that one a couple of times, with good results. I followed the recipe, only adding a little more pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon at bottling time. Using actual pumpkin, in my opinion, is a waste of time, since it adds almost nothing to the taste or anything else. The flavors come from the spices, not the pumpkin. It's been popular at our house the last couple of years in the Fall.

Latest posts

Back