NB Waldo Lake Amber Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremysavoy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I have this kit (hopefully my last extract brew, trying to upgrade equipment!) and I'm wondering about the instructions ... there is 1lb of priming sugar it says to add at the end of the boil .... seems odd since its got to ferment for a few weeks, is this right?

Here is a link to the extract kit grain bill:

http://legacy.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1961.html

Also, the extract instructions from NB say bring 1.5G of water to 170* and steep your specialty grains for 15 minutes, then remove, bring to a boil and add extracts. I was just wondering if I couldn't convert this to a mini-mash and mash my specialty grains at a 1.5lb/g grain/water ratio at 155* for 45 minutes and then sparge at 170* at 2qts per lb of grain - would this work well for this recipe or should I just steep them for 15 minutes per the "extract" instructions?

by "mashing" your specialty grains you wouldn't be doing anything differently. to mash you must convert starches into fermentable sugar (in other words, replace some extract with some base grain). by steeping the grains at 155 and sparging at 170, I think you will get a better result, but I wouldn't call that mashing nor would I call that a mini mash

either way, it'll probably be very good

by "mashing" your specialty grains you wouldn't be doing anything differently. to mash you must convert starches into fermentable sugar (in other words, replace some extract with some base grain). by steeping the grains at 155 and sparging at 170, I think you will get a better result, but I wouldn't call that mashing nor would I call that a mini mash

either way, it'll probably be very good

Right, per my post I said I was wondering if I could convert the extract recipe to a mini-mash recipe using the specialty grains provided in the extract kit. Post was answered by Denny Conn himself over on NB forums ...

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79367&start=0

Latest posts

Back