NB Honey Weizen recipe and IBU question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cricky101

Reaction score
Hey all - I got a Northern Brewer gift card for Christmas and was going to pick up an extract kit to brew one night after work.

I want to brew something light for my girlfriend and thought the Honey Weizen from Northern Brewer sounded good. She primarily drinks Leine's Honey Weiss. I'll probably ferment with US-05 in the low 60s to get a more crisp profile.

When I entered everything into Hopville, and adjusted for a full boil and late extract addition, the recipe comes in at just over 20 IBUs and BU:GU of 0.44.

I want something that's balanced and not too sweet, but will 20 IBUs be too bitter? She really dislikes bitterness in her beer. I checked the web, and the original Honey Weiss is listed at 13 IBUs, but I don't want it super sweet either ...

Anyone make anything similar and have some advice about what IBU to shoot for?

Drop the amount of hops, or add them later in the boil and see what that does to you IBU's.

Sorry. My post was confusing.

I guess my question is with 6 lbs wheat LME and 1 lb of honey, is 20 IBUs going to give the beer a bitter flavor or will it be balanced? I'm trying to find the happy medium of not bitter and not too sweet with those ingredients for something my girlfriend will enjoy.

Latest posts

Back