NB Chocolate Milk Stout -add vanilla beans or extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
Hello there,

I am brewing the Chocolate Milk stout from Northern Brewer today: https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/chocolate-milk-stout-extract-kit?variant=7673926778924

I’m wanting to put vanilla in secondary and I’m not sure if buying $20 vanilla beans on amazon is worth the cost? Or will there be a noticeable difference if I just use vanilla extract?

Finally, for this recipe how many beans, or extract should I use?

If I go beans, how do you suggest I add them/prep the. Before secondary?

Thanks in advance,
Lorne

I recommend not using secondary, as it is not needed. Moreover, you risk introducing more O2 in the beer, oxidizing it and dulling flavours. Just add to primary.

As for vanilla beans: somewhere between 2 and 4 beans, depending on the variety, freshness, etc. If you go extract, I recommend something from https://nielsenmassey.com/ ( no affiliation - they just make good extracts )

I recommend not using secondary, as it is not needed. Moreover, you risk introducing more O2 in the beer, oxidizing it and dulling flavours. Just add to primary.

As for vanilla beans: somewhere between 2 and 4 beans, depending on the variety, freshness, etc. If you go extract, I recommend something from https://nielsenmassey.com/ ( no affiliation - they just make good extracts )

Thanks for the reply. I use a spunding valve and ferment under pressure. Then push to another keg for secondary. The beer actually never touches oxygen until it hits my pint glass!

So I’d get the vanilla beans in the secondary keg and push into that one. Then likely serve from that too. You think that works?

Thanks,
Lorne

If you let the beer sit too long on the beans it might get a pretty strong vanilla flavor. If you put the beans in primary you can rack the beer to secondary when you think the flavor tastes right.

If you let the beer sit too long on the beans it might get a pretty strong vanilla flavor. If you put the beans in primary you can rack the beer to secondary when you think the flavor tastes right.

I’m not sure. It’s still fermenting in primary. I’ll add it to the beans or extract and cocao in secondary. Maybe 1-2 weeks. Then push to serving keg.

Beans or natural extract is fine, how much depends on you and your desired result. I add them to the secondary myself but I know my ratios I like, you can always add more but you cant take it away is the best advice I can give start small and add until your happy keep notes so you know next time how much you like

I did 1.5 beans for 3gal. Soak in vodka for a week then add to bottling bucket or keg. Don’t add the beans just the vodka. No secondary.

Back