NB bourbon barrel...stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrods22

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago I did a double batch of NB's (10 gallons). I put it into two separate 5 gallon primaries... One liquid (1726 Scottish ale) and one dry (danstar winsor ale).

The next day the liquid 1726 took off blew off the air lock and foamed over for about 2 days. The dry danstar took it's time to get get going and steadily worked hard.

Now I took the FG of both... The dry finished out at 1.018, but the one that had the liquid still has some room on go at FG of 1.028.

Any suggestions?

I am assuming I lost something when it was bubbling over...? I would like to keep the yeast "pure" because I am thinking of washing it and using it again.

What was the OG?

I would have expected the 1728 to do better than the Windsor. Neither are high attenuating yeasts.

Yes, I should have started with more info...
Extract (3rd time with this kit)
OG-1.076
ferm temp: 65-70
Starter: the liquid was a active Smack pack

have you had success with it before?

ideally you'd like to make a starter with a 1.076 beer.

so the dry yeast got 75% aa, which seems reasonable.

i'd check the liquid again in a week and see where it's at. i'd raise the temp to low 70's if you can, give it a rouse

Are you sure you haven't got the two batches mixed up. 75% attenuation with Windsor (1.076 to 1.018) is probably the highest I have ever heard of with Windsor; more typically it is low to mid 60s.

63% attenuation with 1728 is low; that yeast specs out at 69 to 73%, and has no real temperature issues (works down to 55F).

If one has done better than the other and you want to bring the higher FG down more, I would recommend racking the higher FG beer onto the cake of the lower one.

When I did the kit (I've only done it once) mine stalled at 1.030, and I couldn't ever get it past 1.024 by repitching lower.

It still tasted pretty good though...

Have you added the bourbon yet?

The oddest thing just happened with this batch... About 4-5 days ago it just started fermenting again? Right now it buboes about every second. So I am going to just let it keep going. When it slows down I will check the gravity again.
PS- I brewed it bact on feb 6th. And when it started to ferment it went gangbusters then stalled out.

Back