NB Belgian Dubble extract kit, what next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onionz

Reaction score
So I chose this as my first batch. It came out rather bland and the head lasts about 15 seconds. For my next batch I'm going to want something more robust. Can anyone reccomend a good tasting hoppy brew. I'm a little overwhelmed with the choices and don't want a flop again.

Try NB's Chinook IPA. A very basic recipe to hone your skills but very hoppy using just one hop. Use the late extract addition technique.

Your Dubbel may be less than expected due to insufficient time conditioning. The head not lasting very long in the glass could be from soap residue in the glass.

More details on primary time, yeast pitch, and conditioning would be helpful for troubleshooting the Dubbel if you wish. Extract or all grain recipe?

The NB kits are very good. I would choose any that sound good to you.

The Belgian Dubbel should not have been bland. How long did you let the bottles condition and at what temperature? A Belgian Dubbel is a brew that would benefit from some aging. Several months at least.

As flars said, soap residue on your glasses could be your head problem. Rinse the glasses very well.

Try NB's Chinook IPA. A very basic recipe to hone your skills but very hoppy using just one hop. Use the late extract addition technique.

Your Dubbel may be less than expected due to insufficient time conditioning. The head not lasting very long in the glass could be from soap residue in the glass.

More details on primary time, yeast pitch, and conditioning would be helpful for troubleshooting the Dubbel if you wish. Extract or all grain recipe?

Ok so these are the details I have:
I pitched Omega Belgian Ale W on 4/30/17.
Had some really funky smells until 5/3/127.
After that the smells were divine! I wish it still smelled like that.
The krausen fell on 5/6/17.
I bottled on 5/21/17.
After carbing the beer took on a metallic flavor which has lessened over time. The beer is bland. Nothing special about it. Color is good and the head is good while it lasts. It may be soap but I rinsed the glass before pouring.

Give your beer another month of conditioning time at room temperature to see if there is any change in flavor. Scrub a glass with salt for your next tasting. Soap residues can be hard to rinse out. The salt crystals will cut through residues for a deep cleaning.

It can be that more conditioning time will give you better head retention in the glass.

So a couple weeks later I opened another bottle. I couldn't taste the metallic flavor anymore. Still no esters to speak of. But it was better. It's only been bottled 1 month. I hope for a change in a month. I picked up a Chinook kit at NB. 3 oz of hops with some dry hopping should go down easy. Also this glass had a good head. It was some sort of residue.

Latest posts

Back