natural vs. forced

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springfieldxd

Reaction score
I have been brewing now for a year and always forced carb'd my batches. Do you get a different flavor profile from the whole priming sugar natural method? Am i missing out on something?

I assume your kegging not bottling, usually force carb for kegs and use priming sugar for bottles. I started out using bottles now keg there is a slight taste difference I think but the main thing is the crap at the bottom of the bottle from priming and the residual yest eatting it for the carbing.

Yes, there is two ways to carbonate in a keg, Forced and Natural. The natural way is to use 1/2 the amount of priming sugar that you would use for bottling and adding it to a keg and then using pressure to seal it and allowing natural carbonation to occur over a 2 or 3 week period. I have only tried this one time and was disappointed with the outcome. It does seem to result in a higher amount of sludge at the bottom of the keg that needs to be drained off before your pours clear. All of my forced carbed kegs are always crystal clear so I don't do the natural method .

1. I object to "natural" as what is natural about adding refined sugar to beer to get carbonation.
Co2 pulled from the atmosphere is no less "natural" than refined sugar.

2. In my own brewing (could be operator error), I have never liked corn sugar based priming and absolutely love the "clean" taste of naturally pulled from the atmosphere CO2.

LOL - sorry Yooper for being so disagreeable.

This is interesting as I've just switched over to kegging this past year from bottling and am trying to figure out if going back to corn sugar priming would be better. After seeing the responses here I think I'll hold off on the priming sugar and just force carb.

that is what I was thinking I really like forcing it is so much easier than what my friend goes through. I think I'll stick with what I know. thanks guys

I bottled with natural carb (obviously) for about 8 months and just recently started force carbing with kegs. I love it. I will NEVER go back. Taste better to me.

Brian

Back