Natural Spring Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncleboogie

Reaction score
I asked this question over in my intro thread and was suggested to bring it over here. I have access to a natural spring, my neighborhood is built around it. Was thinking of using the water to try in a batch or 2. What are some of the things I should be concerned about if I use it? What needs to be added, do I need to filter it, ect......Or am I getting way over my head with this and just stick to the city water that I have been using?

Is this a spring which emerges to the surface or is it contained?

A water report would be the thing to do. A report would give you a general idea of minerals content. Minerals content can change rapidly depending on rainfall amounts. I would also get a bacteria report.

Yes, it is a continuous flowing spring and is somewhat contained, but flows out to a local river. Yes I would think I would need a report done, but was afraid it might throw up some red flags with the county utilities asking why I needed the report, or maybe they wouldn't care.

Just thinking it would be neat to brew a local brew that uses local resources like that.

Spring water means it comes from a spring. Nothing more. It could be very hard, very soft, somewhere in between... who knows.

If you're set on using it, I'd send a sample off to Ward Lab first.

You're boiling it to brew, what's the worst that could happen? I'm a trial and error kind of guy. The scientific way is certainly send it out and brew to style with whatever the result is. I don't see anything wrong with just trying a batch and seeing if it turns out. Maybe even just a gallon for the first one. You could do a gallon of basic pilsner and same for a stout and see which one you like more. That way you have both ends of the spectrum. Worst case you have two 6-packs of undrinkable beer, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

I have a local spring a few miles up the road from me, before sending a sample off to Ward labs I asked around a bit and the general consensus was that "it tastes really good" and that people have been drinking from it for a long, long time. Constant flow from a pipe in the side of a hill. I posted the report in a post in this sub forum. Haven't brewed with it yet, but plan to, once I get the new rig finished, hopefully in the next couple of weeks :ban:

Yes same with this spring I'm talking about.....has a lot of history behind it especially with drinking it. People say it has some kind of magnetic energy that heals......maybe I can make magical healing beer!!!

Thanks for everyone's input on this.... I'll follow up with a report when I get around to sending a sample.

Water from a spring does not guarantee it is desirable or suitable for brewing. There is an artesian (flowing) well in my city that does produce a nice tasting water. However, it is very hard and alkaline. A lot of brewers have tried to brew with it and had terrible results. For some styles like stout or porter, we might be able to get that water to work. But it's iffy.

Knowing what is in the water will at least, give you idea of what you might have to treat to make a spring water suited for your current batch. A better bet may be to use a source with a known quality or use distilled or RO water.

Back