Natural spring water source OK for homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
There's a natural spring water source up in the coastal mountains here in Oregon. The highway department built a faucet for it to make it accessible, so I know it's safe to drink and it tastes great. Are there any concerns for using it for homebrewing?

if it tastes good and is safe, it will make beer.

I would try it and see how it does!

One of my friends here uses spring water for his brewing.

If it's safe to drink and tastes good, as other said, it CAN be used to make beer.

If you really wanna know... take a sample and have it tested. Depending on the water profile, it could end up being your secret ingredient that nobody else can replicate. :D

We just moved to a new house that has well water. I plan on getting it tested and see what's in it.

Spring water can harbor microorganisms (girdia, e.coli, etc.) that come from wildlife waste products being dropped into the water or rain water washing the waste into the water supply. Even if the water is "filtered" over limestone it can still carry those bacteria/parasites. Personally, I would not use it to top off a fermenter, but boiling it would make safe to brew with.

Once you have a water analysis, check out the appropriate section in "How to Brew" by Palmer - it will help you determine what styles are most suited to your water chemistry, or to adjust your water to a particular style.

Back