Natural Gas conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlickTX

Reaction score
I've been kicking around the site for a couple of weeks to reacquaint myself with brewing. The last batch I made was In 2006 according to my notes. Anyway, since I had a gas line with quick disconnect for my grill I thought I would get an outside burner and convert it to natural gas. The following are the steps I took. I don't accept any responsibility if anyone else follows this and dicks it up.

The existing line:

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

Next are all the parts. The conversion adaptor and needle valve made by Blichmann, the hose from Home Depot and the lighter (which will be added at a later date).

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

The hole for the gas connection at the burner is too small for the Blichmann adaptor so I drilled it out with a 7/16" bit and tapped it for 1/4 NPT.

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

The brass bits get screwed on with a liberal helping of natural gas-specific thread sealer. Then the line is added and the burner is mounted In the stand.

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

The flame is a bit on the orange side of things which is understandable with this type of burner. That being said, there was no problems bringing the wort pot to a boil in short order. I may convert to a banjo burner sometime in the future, but this works well for now.

Back