Natural gas burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapae

Reaction score
I have a couple natural gas burners and just upgraded to a brewstand. Never really paid much attention to my fame untill I started reading more about carbon monoxide and flame height and color. Turns out to get a good boil I am needing to turn it up high enough to get a decent amount of yellow on my flame. Been doing some reading and it sounds like the more air the better to mix with natural gas.
...... So the question is, can I just take off the front air intake adjuster completely to get more air being sucked into the flame for a better blue fire flame?

Last edited:
What model burner - or can you post a picture of the intake end?
Also, were these burners jetted for natural gas?

I've seen different styles of shutter plates on the same cast iron burner (bg14, for instance), some with smaller air ports than others. If you have one of the more restrictive shutters you may be able to replace it or open the ports with a round file or Dremel tool.

There are folks that have resorted to using a small ducted air blower to force air into the burner to allow greater output. A bit extreme but there we are...

Cheers!

What model burner - or can you post a picture of the intake end?
Also, were these burners jetted for natural gas?

I've seen different styles of shutter plates on the same cast iron burner (bg14, for instance), some with smaller air ports than others. If you have one of the more restrictive shutters you may be able to replace it or open the ports with a round file or Dremel tool.

There are folks that have resorted to using a small ducted air blower to force air into the burner to allow greater output. A bit extreme but there we are...

Cheers!

It is a Blichman burner. I read the most burners are made for propane. I do have a natural gas valve on it. I have read several places that most of these burners, When converted to natural gas, need more oxygen to get a larger blue flame. That’s why I was asking if taking off the front air intake would provide a better oxygen to gas ratio for natural gas.

Just an update. I realized that the heat shield on the entire front half of the burner wasn’t allowing good airflow around the kettle. I Elevated the pot with half-inch stainless steel pieces and BAM, a perfect half inch blue flame without any yellow.....So not only do you need The right gas/air mix coming into the burner, but also at the flame level.

Back