Native ESP8266 BrewPi Firmware - WiFi BrewPi, no Arduino needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Thorrak - would you consider putting a donate link or patreon or similar up on fermentrack.com and/or github? I owe you a few beer at this point. Producing all those PCBs for testing I know adds up too!

Hey Thorrak - would you consider putting a donate link or patreon or similar up on fermentrack.com and/or github? I owe you a few beer at this point. Producing all those PCBs for testing I know adds up too!

While I’m happy to accept donations of beer, I’m not looking for cash donations at this point. The nice thing about people buying through pcbs.io is that I haven’t paid out of pocket for most of those PCBs. I’m down to a few dollars of credit at this point, but I’m ok with that. ;)

Compare prices at different electronic stores
https://1clickbom.com/

That’s awesome! I need to convert all my PCBs to KiCad at some point and this might be part of the incentive to do so. Of course, I also need to add values to every component in Eagle, but hey - baby steps.

Anyone have any issues saving device functions assignment? It appears I'm able to set a temp sensor or pin to the appropriate "Device Function" dropdown via the 192.x.x.x/devices/x/sensors page, but after clicking "Assign" and the page refreshes, it still shows "<DEVICE> NOT set." at the top of the page and the corresponding device still shows up as "Device Function: None".

I am running RPi3, 3 Uno RevC's, standard brewpi sensor/outlet setup, and a powered USB hub for hardware. I did an automated setup today and it has gone fine until this point.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

fermentrack.png

Anyone have any issues saving device functions assignment? It appears I'm able to set a temp sensor or pin to the appropriate "Device Function" dropdown via the 192.x.x.x/devices/x/sensors page, but after clicking "Assign" and the page refreshes, it still shows "<DEVICE> NOT set." at the top of the page and the corresponding device still shows up as "Device Function: None".

I am running RPi3, 3 Uno RevC's, standard brewpi sensor/outlet setup, and a powered USB hub for hardware. I did an automated setup today and it has gone fine until this point.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

View attachment 565874
I desperately need to write an FAQ entry for this one. Sorry about that.

Go to device settings and reset the eeprom. Once that finishes, everything should be good. It’s a bug in the way that devices are initialized on new firmware installations.

I desperately need to write an FAQ entry for this one. Sorry about that.

Go to device settings and reset the eeprom. Once that finishes, everything should be good. It’s a bug in the way that devices are initialized on new firmware installations.

Thanks, Thorrak! The lack of an FAQ entry is perfectly acceptable considering your 4 millisecond response time. :rock:

On a different note, people might find it useful to include a note similar to brewpi's in the Uno flash page of the app in regards to RevA or RevC: "Make sure you have the right file for your Arduino type (UNO or Leonardo) and the right shield (Rev A or Rev C). Only the first 100 BrewPi shields were rev A. If you bought one recently, you have Rev C."

I'd looked this up in the past for a brewpi setup but had since forgot and had to google it again.

Hi Thorrak - I've been able to add all my devices after the eeprom reset (yay). But when I go to test a run mode, Fermentrack throws an error with traceback. I noticed my constants are blank and maybe that is why. I tried hitting the eeprom resets on the manage log page and on the constants page, but my constants are still blank. Any ideas? I'm using an UNO. Thanks!

Hi Thorrak - I've been able to add all my devices after the eeprom reset (yay). But when I go to test a run mode, Fermentrack throws an error with traceback. I noticed my constants are blank and maybe that is why. I tried hitting the eeprom resets on the manage log page and on the constants page, but my constants are still blank. Any ideas? I'm using an UNO. Thanks!

I see nothing reported in sentry - do you mind PMing me the traceback and I can take a look?

I saw that there was an update in Github this morning and did a force update. Now i am getting 504 Gateway timeout. I rebooted my Pi and still getting 504. I have already done the Python 3 upgrade some time ago so i should be current. Is there an SSH command I get run to get it back?

I saw that there was an update in Github this morning and did a force update. Now i am getting 504 Gateway timeout. I rebooted my Pi and still getting 504. I have already done the Python 3 upgrade some time ago so i should be current. Is there an SSH command I get run to get it back?

sudo su fermentrack
cd ~/fermentrack
./utils/upgrade3.sh

If it gives you any kind of error message (or doesn’t fix it) then run

tail -50 upgrade.log

...and PM me the result.

LovIng that Fermentrack detail! [emoji106]

It turned out really well!

Because pcbs.io does ENIG, I figured I'd give "gold" a shot, rather than just doing silkscreen. That said, the RJ-45 version of the "shield" has a small silkscreen version on the back which also worked nicely.

Best news though is that all of the PCBs are tested & working. Biiig sigh of relief on my part given the soldering that went into those.

Just a few small updates this weekend:

Failed attempts to assign pins/devices will now report an error message in Fermentrack along with a potentially solution. This should help address the “uninitialized EEPROM” issue.

Arduino-based controllers can now see/manage control constants.

Users can now opt out of error reporting via Sentry.

As always, please report any issues/comments!

@Thorrak Some weeks since my last fermentation based on a Fermentation profile. Tried to make a new tonight. Get this error message when trying to load it.

""Unable to parse temperature control settings provided""

@Thorrak Some weeks since my last fermentation based on a Fermentation profile. Tried to make a new tonight. Get this error message when trying to load it.

Possibly related... I just finished fermenting a beer, went to turn the controller off and got the same message... "Unable to parse temperature control settings provided"

Seems I can change temp settings etc but nothing will allow me to turn the temp control off

Any ideas?

Possibly related... I just finished fermenting a beer, went to turn the controller off and got the same message... "Unable to parse temperature control settings provided"

Seems I can change temp settings etc but nothing will allow me to turn the temp control off

Any ideas?
Let me take a look. ESP or Arduino?

Any ideas?

I have the exact same issue and running ESP.

I just pushed an update live that contains one new feature, and the fix for @hampa22 and @Jethro Choicebro 's issues.

Upgrade Branch Selection

Fermentrack now allows users to select between upgrading off the "dev" branch and the "master" branch.

The dev branch will contain all code as it becomes available, and will receive features first - potentially well in advance of the master branch. As a result of the more rapid upgrades, it is more likely to experience errors. The master branch will contain code coming from the dev branch once it's clear there are no major, show stopping bugs. It will be upgraded far less frequently, but should hopefully be more stable as a result. There will still be bugs/errors in the master branch, but hopefully nothing significant.

By default all users will be opted into the "dev" branch - to switch, go to the Fermentrack settings page. My preference would be for people to stick with the dev branch as that helps debugging, but if anyone is getting ready to ferment 1/2 bbl of RIS and is worried about something breaking, switching to the master branch might be the right choice.

Thanks Thorrak...latest update has fixed the issue (running ESP also)

On a different note - the "enable gravity support" setting doesnt seem to do anything now...i have it set to off but still have the option/ability to set up gravity devices on the main page

Thanks again!

Thanks Thorrak...latest update has fixed the issue (running ESP also)

On a different note - the "enable gravity support" setting doesnt seem to do anything now...i have it set to off but still have the option/ability to set up gravity devices on the main page

Thanks again!

Let me take a look.

I have a lot a problem with this update.

Problem with server template.

https://pastebin.com/i9V1K0wV

This should be working now. Sorry about that. You may need to update manually if you can't load Fermentrack. To do so, log into your Pi via ssh, and run:

sudo su fermentrack
cd ~/fermentrack
./utils/upgrade3.sh -b dev

This bug was very strange - the code in question wasn't even slightly related to anything that was touched.

nice Work!

But i have a problem with ESP:

Controller Response Test 192.168.2.163 Failed
I have a firmware 0.90 need to update?

nice Work!

But i have a problem with ESP:

Controller Response Test 192.168.2.163 Failed
I have a firmware 0.90 need to update?

Try restarting your controller. That means that your controller isn't reachable at the IP address that you have saved for it.

If you have this issue often, then upgrading to the latest firmware should help. The big change in v0.10 was adding code that causes the controller to reconnect if it loses access to your WiFi network. It isn't a requirement though - Fermentrack will continue to work just fine with v0.9-based controllers. :)

https://bit.ly/2Hkqpan

Try restarting your controller. That means that your controller isn't reachable at the IP address that you have saved for it.

If you have this issue often, then upgrading to the latest firmware should help. The big change in v0.10 was adding code that causes the controller to reconnect if it loses access to your WiFi network. It isn't a requirement though - Fermentrack will continue to work just fine with v0.9-based controllers. :)

Last edited:
It's possible to upgrade the firmware when I have 0.9 version with this command: esptool --port /dev/ttyUSB0 write_flash -fm=dio -fs=32m 0x00000 ~/brewpi-esp8266/bin/brewpi-esp8266.v0.10.wifi.bin

Have this error https://bit.ly/2Hkqpan

Latest update fixed this problem. (Master branch)

If anyone is looking for pre-soldered PCBs, in my attempt to free up space in my apartment I've listed the stack of RJ-11 based designs here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/pre-soldered-esp8266-brewpi-pcbs.649012/

All have been tested, and all work.

I'm also offering 3D printed cases along with the PCBs. If you're reading this and want a printed case without a PCB, shoot me a PM and I can see if we can work something out. ;)

ejCu6x
https://ibb.co/ejCu6x
What is the correct option to flash a wemos d1 mini?

Dont understand but i have a problem with my Wemos dont have sensor temperature.

NodeMCU is the correct option for a Wemos D1 Mini. Use that one to flash your controller.

It sounds like your controller is working properly, but you don't have your temperature sensors assigned to their proper functions. Try this:
  1. Go to the "Manage Device" page for your controller (http://192.168.2.161/devices/1/manage)
  2. Click the "Reset EEPROM" button halfway down the page
  3. Wait a minute or so for the process to complete
  4. Go to the "Configure Sensors/Pins/Devices" page (http://192.168.2.161/devices/1/sensors)
  5. Make sure you have one temperature sensor set as the "Chamber Sensor" and one set as the "Beer Sensor". If they're both listed under "Available Devices" instead of "Installed Devices", set their respective functions and assign the device

That should hopefully fix everything. If it doesn't, let me know!

My raspberry its this Model B Revision 2.0 512MB and when i use fermentrack to flash the Wemos D1 Mini, always have /dev/ttyAMA0 when connect from USB the WEMOS detect, but Fermentrack detect /dev/ttyAMA0 but WEMOS not connect. Its a problem with my Raspberry?

Preexisting Devices

Curious about what devices were found during the scan? Take a look at the list below. If you see your controller listed, please disconnect it and restart the serial autodetection process.

Device Name
/dev/ttyAMA0

I have followed your step, to manage Device and change de D5 (Cool)--> Beer Temp. (for exampl) and Fermentrack said a Error to EEPROM. Reset EEPROM a lot a times and dont show my Beer Temperature :-( , need a Raspberry Pi 3 or 3+ to use Fermentrack?

Thank for time Thorrak.

Last edited:
My raspberry its this Model B Revision 2.0 512MB and when i use fermentrack to flash the Wemos D1 Mini, always have /dev/ttyAMA0 when connect from USB the WEMOS detect, but Fermentrack detect /dev/ttyAMA0 but WEMOS not connect. Its a problem with my Raspberry?

Nope. Your Raspberry Pi is working just fine. Mine also always detects /dev/ttyAMA0 - that’s normal.

After you plug in the Wemos does it detect a new device, or is the only device detected /dev/ttyAMA0?

I have followed your step, to manage Device and change de D5 (Cool)--> Beer Temp. (for exampl) and Fermentrack said a Error to EEPROM. Reset EEPROM a lot a times and dont show my Beer Temperature :-( , need a Raspberry Pi 3 or 3+ to use Fermentrack?

Thank for time Thorrak.

:(

That sounds like it may be an issue with the Wemos D1 Mini. You definitely do not need a Pi 3 or 3+.

umm after plug Wemos, Fermentrack detect a /dev/ttyAMA0,but dont continued to flash the WEMOS. Its possible to repair Wemos after reflash a new firmware?.

Try using the other options to flash instead of the NodeMCU. I seem to remember that at least one of my clones didn't work with that flash option.

Back