Nate's RIMs build - the brew throne

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is the whole thing put together. i still need to add a few things to add to the functionality this is the basic brew set up as i would do in a post mash sparge. HLT on the left. Mash tun in the middle. brew kettle on the right. gravity drainage from the mash tun to the BK while pumping hot sparge water from teh HLT.

IMG_06091.JPG

Interesting. Looks like its going to be very compact, and wood.
Will you be able to sit on it when done? Or at least a cup holder for a pint wile you brew.

A pint? i'd be selling myself short.l I have 36 ounce pilsner glasses and 30 ounce mugs. :mug:

I wont be sitting ot it, the swmbo siad "it looks like a nate size chair" - I'm 6'7" I've been refering to it as the brew throne since.

Seems to me you could eliminate the platform on the left completely and also the leg extensions on the burner under the HLT. The burner could just as well be on the floor. The mash tun could be a bit lower and still drain to the boil kettle OK. Does the sparge ring get in the way of stirring the mash or do you remove it or somehow move it out of the way when stirring.

Catt, you are correct on all accounts. The ring does get in the way a bit, but i can turn it perpindicular and still keeep it water tight so i do that. The hight was orignaly for the gravity drain to the boil kettle and i kept the platform and legs becuase i am building a water setup from a garden hose to supply filtered water to the system. Also, I am 6'7" and i HATE working on lower profile stands. This puts everything more my level.

here is the pile of SS valves i got from ebay.

IMG_04362.JPG

I've bought the same valves from ebay and I'm pretty sure they are not stainless steel.
Not sure what they are made of, but tried to weld a SS washer to them without any luck.

hmmm, they are stamped on the side and look really similar to the fittings i bought from bargainfittings. Either way they work well in my application.

hmammm those do look very familiar, if you dont thing they are SS and have good reaseon to believe so, then i would complain. I will back you up.

I am a firm beliver in supporting local suppliers or people who go out of their way to provide good support or services. Having said that, I am a firm beliver in challenging poepl who dont sell what they state and making sure others dont make mistakes.

I'm not saying... i'm just saying

I've done a little research and it seems they are made from chrome plated brass, need to confirm that.

They were bought almost a year ago when i visited in the US, so I cant leave negative feadback to the seller through Ebay, but I'll send him an Email.

Catt, you are correct on all accounts. The ring does get in the way a bit, but i can turn it perpindicular and still keeep it water tight so i do that. The hight was orignaly for the gravity drain to the boil kettle and i kept the platform and legs becuase i am building a water setup from a garden hose to supply filtered water to the system. Also, I am 6'7" and i HATE working on lower profile stands. This puts everything more my level.

IMO, 6'-7" is entirely too tall.:D You tall people make it really difficult for those of us who are vertically challenged. It just ain't right.:mug:

I see you ended up going with the bag filter. Simple and reliable, just be sure to check for small tears/holes before each use. :)

mine doesnt have SS (304/316) stamp on the side like most SS valves have.

Just to be sure, these are the ones I've bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-5-1-2-Stainless-Steel-Ball-Valves-/250683356476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

they work well for me too, still I wish they were stainless as written in the add.

The listing actually doesn't say they are stainless steel ... what it does state is they are "Stainless Steel Ball Valves", meaning the ball valve inside is stainless. These are the same as the brass ones, as the brass ones have a stainless steel ball valve too.

Back