NanoBrewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
A friend of mine owns a downtown building and formerly had a pizza and sandwich shop. After visiting a microbrewery in another town that's popular, dog friendly, and has a tasting room that in summer opens out right onto the sidewalk, she and her husband would like to open something similar. Being in the business district of a small town, and it an optimal location, it could be a great business I think, if they don't try to go big. I suggested a one of the Brewha 50 gallon complete systems, with several fermenters, to keep the cost and brewing labor down. I believe the potential exists to turn the Brewha system into what amounts to a giant version of the PicoBrew with hopbacks and valves so that you could simply set the thing up and let it run a 50 gallon brew, virtually automated.
This means that you could come in and hour early on brew day, crush grain and measure grains, and be free to deal with customers, etc. It would require a minimal amount of equipment. You could also have an actual PicoBrew to prototype on, and always have your latest experimentals on tap in small quantities to try out on customers.

I don't know what state licensing and federal licensing costs, but I suspect it's not excessive. The building is paid for and has a commercial kitchen. It's been the location of a number of restaurants over the years, and has sat empty for a number of years. There isn't adequate space for a full scale micro brewery plus brew pub unless you utilized the basement, but that would be a difficult proposition. It would be interesting trying to shoehorn a nanobrewery into it along with a brew pub, and a sandwich kitchen, but the 50 gallon Brewha would not take up a great deal of real estate. You could do something cute like integrating the active fermenters as the centerpiece of a semi circular table. The key would be to keep pushing product through, rather than doing huge batches. The conicals would all be on wheels, and when you were doing a batch, it would sit in the "brewing area". When it was fermenting, it would be along the wall with customers seated around it.

The picobrew you used for prototyping could be available for customers to do home brews if they opened an account. You'd supply malt and hops, which they'd purchase, and you'd load the machine. They would simply pick up the finished wort, take it home and pitch yeast..... Or you could custom brew, and sell it as a finished product. The basement would be the storehouse for malt and hops, and you might operate it as a LHBS. One or two nights a month, you would hold a meeting of the local beer lovers and home brewer's club, which would be a free BYOB and share affair, talk about the latest micro brews and recipes, ingerdients, equipment, etc. It might generate a few PicoBrews by members that would show up at the next meeting.

The whole thing could be small, inclusive, and dynamic. You would embrace customer input and criticism.... directing it towards the PicoBrew, in the knowledge that if they "commissioned" a PicoBrew and it was popular, it could potentially end up a regular product, "Commissioning" a brew would mean that the customer would pay for it, and receive a "kick back" as it sold. The "kickback" would not be cash, but could be credit at the brew pub or LHBS........a "commission" would be at the discretion of the brewmaster, as would any customer pico brew........ for obvious reasons.

In addition, you might do special brews for specific businesses in the community as capacity was available. If the owner of a local bar wanted to fine tune a product for one of his taps..... You would have the tools to do it.

......... It could be a truly FUN business....... Not all businesses are "fun". I've been in business for 35 years, and I've enjoyed myself most of the time. Customers and employees ( I have no employees anymore) have been good friends, and I've always operated in an environment of trust and respect. I don't buy the "the customer is always right" adage at all. In my business the customer is usually wrong.......That's why he's my customer.... They know it, and I know it... We don't play games, we fix it. A big percentage of my customers have been customers for the entire time I've been in business.... People call me and tell me the new expiration date on their credit cards!! I'm often one or several steps ahead of them....... I have the solution before they know they have a problem! I pay attention and know what's going on...... It works for all of us.

H.W.

Owly,

You and I live in the exact same place. The only difference is that I'm looking at saguaro and you're looking at lodgepole. Your posts can be zany but they are always entertaining.

I think a nano could be a ton of fun here. Not all pro Brewing is about competing with stone and Sierra Nevada. I think the future is small, locally sourced beer. Is this place in Livingston? I've always wanted to open a brewery there. Beartooths, bridgers and crazies right there... Damn. Tons of fly fishing and big game to chase plus great upland bird. Damn these saguaro.

"A sailor longs to till the land, a farmer set's to sea" (Tom Rush, The Dreamer )

I couldn't live in the desert due to the heat....This summer has been too hot for me, and it hasn't hit 90 here! I love the mountains, and when they are not in view, I feel out of my element. That said, I have spent a great deal of time in the high desert, particularly in the canyon lands of Oregon, Idaho, and Northern Nevada, and grew up on the western side of Hells Canyon. I love the solitude, weather it be having the peaks and mountain lakes to myself, or exploring the bottom of the John Day, Deschutes, Owyhee, or Bruneau with no other human within many miles, and only the Rooks for company, calling to each other from the crags above. I used to ski up into the Crazy Mountains several times a week in December, January, and Feburary when I was caretaking a guest ranch for the winter. A brutal climb of about 3000' and 6 miles from my front door, it took two days when there was new snow. One day took me over half way, breaking trail, and I'd go home and return the next day to go the rest of the way. Tiptoing past avalance runs, etc. I once "tagged" a mountian goat with a ski pole.....The snow was about 8' deep, and he was struggling through it somehow. He could out run me going uphill, but I caught him in a brief downhill stretch, and counted coup on him with my ski pole. It's an awesome feeling looking down on the world from 9000' seeing the occasional trail of smoke from a ranch house far below, and knowing that you are 15 miles from the nearest human, and nobody knows where you are. The downhill run is exhilarating and scary on cross country skis.... I took plenty of spills.

The brew pub my friend fell in love with was Katabatic, the new one in Livingston. Neptunes on the other end of town is my favorite stop in Livingston, which is 50 miles from home. Montana has the third highest number of microbreweries per capita in the nation, behind Vermont and Oregon. I doubt that Livingston could support another one. But there's Gardner, West Yellowstone, Big Timber, Three Forks, Whitehall, and an array of towns along I90. Three Forks might be a good choice..... You could call it Headwaters Brewing. It might pair well with the Wheat Montana bakery at the highway junction. Montana west of Billings is a wild jumble of mountains, rivers and breweries ;-)

Where are you? Tucson, Phoenix, Yuma???

H.W.

Owly,

You and I live in the exact same place. The only difference is that I'm looking at saguaro and you're looking at lodgepole. Your posts can be zany but they are always entertaining.

I think a nano could be a ton of fun here. Not all pro Brewing is about competing with stone and Sierra Nevada. I think the future is small, locally sourced beer. Is this place in Livingston? I've always wanted to open a brewery there. Beartooths, bridgers and crazies right there... Damn. Tons of fly fishing and big game to chase plus great upland bird. Damn these saguaro.

Back