Naming your brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished my first beer, an IPA, but mistakes were made and I'm not sure exactly what it turned out to be, so I named it "Mistake by the Lake IPA?"

a few friends of mine thought it would be a great time dipping their berries into white house paint & slapping them against a brick wall to see who could make the biggest splatter mark. I always wanted to name a beer for that occasion. there may have been a small amount of beer involved that night...

The thought of slapping my berries against a brick wall is making my eye twitch

Always! My beers are all broken down into named series (typically by inspiration), and each series has a theme for the names and a consistent label design for the beers within it. I ended up picking this method since it makes for consistent names but lets me be creative and not have to stick to a single theme.

As far as favorite names... My punchy PNW-style DIPA is called Vicarious Trauma, which I like. I have an entire series devoted to experimental styles/weird attempts that are all named after fetishes though, so... >_>

Bad Christian Brewing is my "brewery". Biblical names are the theme.

Barleywine - Water Into Barleywine
Imperial Stout - Eternal Darkness
Chile Pale Ale - Hellfire & Brimstone
Blueberry Chocolate Stout - Black & Blue Congregation
APA - Pale Horse
Irish Red - Red Horse
Black IPA - Black Horse
Witbier - White Horse

The horse references would be from the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse.

I use different themes, anything from Irish mythology to multi-language puns or even movie titles.

For example Cúchulainn (Irish stout), Hrafninn Flýgur (Black IPA), Dubbelt Så God (Belgian Dubbel).

Friend of mine brewed a Belgium Tripple a few weeks ago. While it was sitting in the fermenter we drank a few brews and tried to come up w/a name for it. Ok I said, Father Damien was famous here and he came from Belgium. So it became Damien's Ale. But this was a big beer w/lots of LME, DME, and added Belgium sugar so how do we indicate that? Well it turns out that when the Hawaiians want to emphsize something they use the verb (think it's a verb LOL) twice. In Hawaiian "NUI" means big. And so the new brew came to be known as Damien's Nui Nui Ale. It's still fermenting and we have no idea how kick butt it's gonna turn out. :tank:

What I can't figure out is how some people can buy "XX" kit from the "XX" online shop and then call it anything but "XX" if the did not modify the recipe.

Just found out that a guy I knew in the 80's and early 90's who was a fixture at local clubs (he booked thousands of shows around the city) in Columbia, SC passed away on 2/19/13. His name was Art Boerke and an absolute icon in the local music scene here, which has produced national acts like Hootie and the Blowfish and Crossfade among others.

I think I will honor him by naming my next batch the "Art Boerke Porter"!!

Cheers, Art! Hope they turn it to 11 in the eternal nightclub!!

http://www.free-times.com/index.php?cat=11011801074507906&ShowArticle_ID=11012702133572328

Here's a few of them:

"Evil Charlie's Dog Drool" - Named after my dog Charlie drinking chilled wort out of the fermenter before I could pitch the yeast. The beer turned out great.

"Sirius Black Ale" - Black IPA named after a character from Harry Potter. Shut up.

"Il Faited" - Sounds like Ill Fated. It's a Belgian IPA where everything on brew day seemed to go wrong. Turned out great.

"Red Shift Ale" - An Imperial Red/Barleywine hopped entirely with Galaxy hops. Astronomy nerds should appreciate that one.

Most of mine are named after horror movie themes.

Camp Blood Imperial Red IPA (Friday the 13th)
Amityville Amber
They're Coming to Get You, Barbara Blonde Ale (Night of the Living Dead)
Sunnydale Pale Ale (Buffy the Vampire Slayer...yeah, yeah)
Winchester Tavern House Bitter (Shaun of the Dead)
Re-Animator Stout

I think it is a fun way to personalize your beers, even your extract kits. Here are a few of mine:

Commander McBragg 6 Malt Amber - a combo name after the character on Underdog and on a friend Sarah Bragg who really likes the beer.

End Of The World AIPA - brewed to be enjoyed right around the time of the supposed Mayan apocalypse.

Lost Summer Blonde - brewed right before I was sidelined with a bulging disc in my neck. That disc caused me to lose an entire summer to pain and doctor visits, hence the name.

411 Ale - this was a silly thing that stuck. I write the date I bottle each beer on the bottle cap and a friend of mine who really liked the beer thought the name was 411 when in fact it was the bottling date. The name has stuck even after brewing it again in November.

The Big O Honey Porter - this is the White House Honey Porter recipe with a nod to the President in the title.

Extract or not, it is fun to name your beers and even more fun to have friends ask for them by name.

Often times its whatever I'm listening to while I'm brewing, like no quarter porter.

Other times its just something that jumps in my head like wize ole Dunkel for a dunkelweizen.

Nothing scientific

I name all my beer "the best" followed with the style. No other introduction is needed. I don't stick around to hear the feedback and I scarcely drink my own beer unless I'm out of good old fashioned store bought world class beer.

Just brewed an IPA with belgian yeast and called it OxyMoron. Sounds like an oxymoron when you say it as Belgian India Pale Ale ;)

I used to be creative, but now name the beers after something that occurred (or soon to happen) near the time brewing it. It's sort of a diary of what happened when. For instance, I know when our roof leaked (& repaired) in 2008 (leaky roof pale ale), and when my kid started crawling (Will's First Crawl Porter)

Latest posts

Back