Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure I've seen those Y-shaped electricity pylons before, I think we're in Europe. The church looks Romanesque, and the vegetation feels more Mediterranean than northern Europe.

So we could be in the Balkans or Carpathians maybe, but let's say the Pyrenees? Purely on the grounds that I've been to the latter but not the former, so that's where I might have seen the pylons.

Pyrenees is much, much closer to correct.
There's not many mountains in France that are closer to the Pyrenees than the Alps, so that makes me think the other side - Picos de Europa maybe?

Skimming the map for big bridges over lakes, it looks like Riano, just south of the Picos proper? Looks a lot prettier with snow though!

1695137314691.png

@Northern_Brewer has it!

I came across it not long ago, possibly as a rotating windows background or screen saver. I always hover over them to see where they are, and new I had to remember this one in case it became my turn. Lots of good guesses, I'm glad it wasn't obvious that this was actually in Spain.

I did enjoy the college theme, but had this in mind already.

Anyhow, Northern_Brewer is next.

As I often do, there is an obscure topical connection to this one, that's not very obvious.

But to start you on your way - what building might have inspired this particular skyline?

But to start you on your way - what building might have inspired this particular skyline?

Sydney Opera House flashed through my mind. Or the Milwaukee Art Museum but that's far less well known.

I'm just not sure where to start on this one. I feel like there are purple mountains in the background, under the clouds. Almost looks like snow on the ground, probably not but it feels like a place that could have some. Doesn't seem to be in the US.

I'm going to take a shot and say - we're in China.

Sydney Opera House flashed through my mind. Or the Milwaukee Art Museum but that's far less well known.

I'm just not sure where to start on this one. I feel like there are purple mountains in the background, under the clouds. Almost looks like snow on the ground, probably not but it feels like a place that could have some. Doesn't seem to be in the US.

DMZ

Sydney Opera House flashed through my mind.
So that might get you to the right "continent" (in the political sense if not the geological sense)
I feel like there are purple mountains in the background, under the clouds. Almost looks like snow on the ground, probably not but it feels like a place that could have some.
Not mountains and definitely not snow.
Less cold than Glasgow but still not very warm. Ditto to all the other suggestions so far.

Looks to be a government building with flags removed.

Flower architecture is deceiving, The Lotus Temple, The Sydney Opera House, The Armadillo, etc.. they're much fancier without the flag poles, lights and antenna/tx/rx station outside.

I believe this government building will be under water by the year 2100.

Looks to be a government building with flags removed.
Only one insignia has been removed, the flagpoles were empty (presumably as it's after dark) but there's only one kind of building that usually has so many flagpoles....
And so....

Kiribati.
So I think Huck knew where we were, but I have to give it to @Pkrd for actually saying the name - it is indeed the Kiribati Parliament building on South Tarawa (yes, as in the WWII battle). I was posting on the equinox, the day the sun crosses from the northern to southern hemisphere, so I thought it would be nice to do something from a country that's on the equator. And yes, all the inhabited bits are low-lying coral atolls a few feet above sea level, so they're pretty screwed by rising sea levels.

@Pkrd - you're up.

So, not the US. The cars hit me as European, possibly Canadian, but sounds like not Canada either.

I'm not too familiar with European coasts. But this seems more ocean than say Mediterranean. Going to have a guess with it being an English coast?

Looks like limestone? Trees all seem to be conifers rather than deciduous but otherwise looks reasonably lush so I don't think it's too Mediterranean. Lichens on the edge of the path make me feel a bit more northern too - the vegetation doesn't quite feel British but that bottom left corner fence/path could easily be here, away from the big towns - either north or west.

My immediate thought was it might be one of the big central European lakes but I think the mix of conifers versus other vegetation means it's salt air suppressing the deciduous trees at a latitude that would otherwise have them. So - is it salt water?

So, not the US. The cars hit me as European
Heh, I'd not noticed the cars. The red one has a vertical rear that looks like a van conversion, which immediately makes me think of something like a Peugeot Partner :
1696638864196.png

So are we in France? If so, I think it would have to be north of the Loire on climate/vegetation grounds, and the lichens probably wouldn't be growing in the industrial bits so west of Paris?

Back