Name German Beers Worth Drinking that aren't..... Wheats or Lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pH ranges for BW beers range from about 3.3 to 3.8 (as of the late 1970s; source: VLB Berlin). Most Belgian sours are between 3 and 3.6 (according to Wild Brews). For comparison, the Scottish 80/- I have sitting in front of me is right around 4.5.
I wonder if that's ones from both East and West Berlin. The ones from the East were sourer.

I can get this one. Might give it a try. At least i will get a swing top bottle out of it.

uerige-sticke.jpg

Dampfbier is not fermented with a hefeweizen yeast. I've been to the brewery that's home to the style and specifically asked the brewer. It's just a normal top-fermenting yeast. The beer itself tastes like a lightly-hopped Alt.

I don't know where the story about hefeweizen yeast came from. Possibly its a mistranslation from German.

Call it whatever you'd like, I would then tell these websites that both of these articles are wrong then.

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Dampfbier.html

http://byo.com/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/534-dampfbier-style-profile

Don't make me shake my fist at you and tell you to get off my lawn. It may be a matter of taste, but I'm of the opinion that German lagers are excellent, and can have very interesting flavors. Try a doppelbock or a dunkel, and give more than one a chance.

:off: Do you smoke? I think some of the subtle flavors can be lost on smokers.

Do bath salts count?

My palate is pretty good. I can taste subtle flavors and smell subtle aromas just fine.

The codswallop remark was regarding you saying the Germans brew beer as it should be brewed. It doesn't mean I think they make bad beer.

Call it whatever you'd like, I would then tell these websites that both of these articles are wrong then.

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Dampfbier.html

http://byo.com/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/534-dampfbier-style-profile
Yep, they are wrong. I spoke to the brewer and specifically asked about the yeast strain. He was very clear that it wasn't, and never had been, a hefeweizen strain. It was obvious from the taste of the the beer as well that a wheat beer yeast hadn't been used.

The German Beer Institute is Horst Dornbusch. He has an interestingly casual relationship with facts.

For the record, Stonehands (he who defends the Purity Laws) brewed a dunkel that changed my mind about German lagers forever. Amazing stuff, wish I had a bottle now!

Plenty of European breweries use "weird stuff" in their beers. Having a 600 year old law that says you can't is silly.
It's not a law, it's a tradition.

Like whatever everyone like .. i like my beer pure without fancy ingredients (exception: fruit) you can brew so many different types of beer just by playing with the kind of malt(s), mash temps and yeast string.

I can brew a weizen, a tripel, and a flamish red all by 'obeying the law', don't need syrups, pumpkins or nuts for that :)

It's not a law, it's a tradition.

Like whatever everyone like .. i like my beer pure without fancy ingredients (exception: fruit) you can brew so many different types of beer just by playing with the kind of malt(s), mash temps and yeast string.

I can brew a weizen, a tripel, and a flamish red all by 'obeying the law', don't need syrups, pumpkins or nuts for that :)

What about an IPA? Do you brew those? The Germans don't.

The problem is the limitation of ingredients, it's the idea that beer has to meet traditional specifications. And then they mix it with coke or fruit juice. :(

What about an IPA? Do you brew those? The Germans don't.

The problem is the limitation of ingredients, it's the idea that beer has to meet traditional specifications. And then they mix it with coke or fruit juice. :(
I haven'r brewed an IPA yet, but I have brewed beers that come close to that. Allthough in IPA isn't german (than it would be an GPA) you can brew one while following the Reinheitsgebot rules.

Just to be clear: I'm not from Germany (bu I love a fine weizen, just finished 10 minutes ago kegging my own version) :)

Put in an order to pick up at Bevmo on my way home from work. Got a 6 pack of Spaten Optimator and a bottle of Ayinger Dunkel (as well as a 6 pack of SA Octoberfest). Will give those a try and see what I think.

Optimator is almost too malty to me, I personally think Ayinger's Celebrator or Paulaner's Salvator are better choices for a doppelbock - I won't turn an Optimator down though. Ayinger's beers are very good IMO, if you good a good bottle of the dunkel, I would think you'd be happy with it.

Euro beer run. I did it for the mostly for the swing tops and yeast. German Altbier, Landbier and a Dopplebock plus a few new to me Belgians.

BlgGer1.jpg

The German beer labels are really boring too. I think their beer might taste better with a Three Floyds label.

Honestly at this point, I think you are letting a little beer snobish get in your way of getting help. Why don't you like lagers? That's a huge class to just dismiss. Maybe you could state they flavors you don't like, and we could direct you. Me being German, I love all sorts of German beer, but also don't like a lot of them. Same with "American Beer".

Also there was a reason for the Reinheitsgebot, it wasn't just law makes getting together for no reason what so ever.

Maxkling said:
Honestly at this point, I think you are letting a little beer snobish get in your way of getting help.

This ought to be good. Cue the Jeopardy music......

Honestly at this point, I think you are letting a little beer snobish get in your way of getting help. Why don't you like lagers?

If you really think I think fancy beer labels would make the beer taste better, I have some PRIME swamp land to sell you. I haven't avoided anyone's advice, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. I don't care much for lagers because they generally taste boring to me.

Also there was a reason for the Reinheitsgebot, it wasn't just law makes getting together for no reason what so ever.

Huh?

Only beers from germany I've purchased in bottle stores that I've really enjoyed are dopplebocks. And there's a simple reason for this, everything is oxidized. I have a bitburger clone that I'm drinking now that tastes so much better than any german pilsner i've bought in any bottle store. The trip on the boat and the terrible storage kills almost every delicate german beer.

also if you look up reinheitsgebot you'll see that it was killed by the EU like 20 years ago. It's only used as a marketing tool now.

I don't care much for lagers because they generally taste boring to me.

You do understand that lager doesn't mean fizzy yellow beer, right? if you think celebrator or salvator are boring beers then, well... I just don't know what to say to you.

You do understand that lager doesn't mean fizzy yellow beer, right? if you think celebrator or salvator are boring beers then, well... I just don't know what to say to you.

You do understand when someone says they don't care for lagers it doesn't mean they have tried every single one, right?

I think this is telling. My guess is you just haven't had the opportunity to try good examples of German beers. I think a helles can be very interesting, but they're so subtle a lot can be lost in shipping them over here. Bocks, dunkels, oktoberfests - they all can have a depth of character.

I don't think the Germans screwed themselves with the Reinheitsgebot, they just figured out the only "correct" way to brew beer and stuck with it. When you perfect something, why change? :mug:

Also keep in mind that for much of Germany, the Reinheitsgebot didn't apply until German unification in 1871, and in some regions, it wasn't enforced until 1906 - and then only for lagers.

The other thing that people should remember is that Reinheitsgebot had far more to do with regulation of imported beers than anything else. It was a protectionist measure mostly intended to prevent other countries (c.f. Belgium) from being able to sell beer in Germany, protecting the local producers.

The other thing that people should remember is that Reinheitsgebot had far more to do with regulation of imported beers than anything else. It was a protectionist measure mostly intended to prevent other countries (c.f. Belgium) from being able to sell beer in Germany, protecting the local producers.
Yup :mug:

In the early days (14th century) almost no one used hops, they used several spices called gruit. They were paying a lot of taxes on the use of gruit so they searched for other ingredients, finding out that hops also make beer last longer on the shelf.

Some regions had law to enforce the use of hop, while other forbid the use of hops.

I drank the Landbier and the Dopplebock. The most positive thing I have to say is I'm glad they were packaged in swing top bottles.

They were very similar to each other. Both of them had a common flavor/aroma that I've tasted in a few other beers and don't like at all. I don't know what it is. I've looked at recipes for the style and they use ingredients that I've brewed with and enjoyed. The weird flavor seems to come from the grain bill, but i suppose it could be the yeast. I've never used the type of yeast they use. The flavor/aroma reminds me of chick peas or bean sprouts. Maybe it has something to do with how they mash it. I'd like to know what it is, so I never put it in my beer.

Maybe I should email the brewery for the recipe:

Dear German Brewery who's name I can't pronounce and have already forgotten,

I've sampled your Dopplebock and frankly it was one of the nastiest well made beers I've had in a long time. I'll never buy it again. I'd like to see your recipe, so I can be sure never to brew anything that tastes like your beer.

Sincerely,
MisterTipsy

Maybe I should email the brewery for the recipe:

Dear German Brewery who's name I can't pronounce and have already forgotten,

I've sampled your Dopplebock and frankly it was one of the nastiest well made beers I've had in a long time. I'll never buy it again. I'd like to see your recipe, so I can be sure never to brew anything that tastes like your beer.

Sincerely,
MisterTipsy

Wow, just WOW. I'm sure if you were able to purchase a beer from almost the other side of the world at some package store near you, the majority of people don't agree. God forbid you don't like something, so everyone one must be inferior to your complex palate.

Just stick with what you like, don't bad mouth peoples hard work and time because YOU don't like it. That's what happens when you adventure out past the mac and cheese, you'll find stuff that you don't like, and if it disgusts you, just stick with mac and cheese and live under your rock.

Sincerely,
Max Kling

I love german beers across the board. If you can find it, give this beer a shot.
Weihenstephaner Vitus - Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

MisterTipsy said:
More useless posts from you. I see a pattern forming.

Now that is funny. Considering your last childish reply.

By now, this thread doesn't deserve a useful post. Your lack of maturity is amusing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back