Naked saison??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surgical_ass

Reaction score
Thinking of using golden naked oats for the first time. 90% pilsner 10% gno. Will use a 1oz fo charge of galaxy with wyeast 3724 as yeast. Thoughts? Anyone use gno in saison? Thoughts on hop charge? Will bitter with magnum.

Sounds great. I love golden naked oats, and Galaxy is an excellent hop for a saison, IMO. You could probably do two or three oz though - if you want it hoppy and tropical, do it proper. I'd dry hop it as well.

Sounds great. I love golden naked oats, and Galaxy is an excellent hop for a saison, IMO. You could probably do two or three oz though - if you want it hoppy and tropical, do it proper. I'd dry hop it as well.

I scaled the gno down to about 6% as I read it can take over quickly. What percentage do you normally shoot for with this grain?

With that kind of hop,the only thing you will get from the oats is smoothness of mouthfeel

IMO 10% is a bit too much for a saison. I used about 10% and it came out a bit too nutty and berry-y for a saison. I'd shoot for 5%-8%

IMO 10% is a bit too much for a saison. I used about 10% and it came out a bit too nutty and berry-y for a saison. I'd shoot for 5%-8%

Yea that's what I was afraid of. I brought it down to 6% I might take my fo galaxy charge down to .5oz to try and let some of the berry nut profile show. I'm hoping that I can get the yeast, hop and oats to come through together without one overpowering the other

It depends upon your other grains in the bitter.
Anything bold will cover up the oats.

I think that if you were to sub crystal wheat for the C75,you would have a better combo,they very much compliment each other

I scaled the gno down to about 6% as I read it can take over quickly. What percentage do you normally shoot for with this grain?

The last time I used GNO in a saison, i used 8%. I also used 8% each of rye malt and wheat malt, and hopped with Nelson, Mosaic and Cascade. I used Belle Saison. It was pretty good IIRC, I didn't feel that the GNO took over at all.

Back