n00bie question on reading recipes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gack

Reaction score
I've looked around through the newbie and FAQs and didn't see this information, but what I am a bit unsure on...is reading recipes in relation to boil time additions.

For example...if I see this:

.75 Hallertau @ 45
.25 Hallertau @ 15

Is that:

.75 ounce at 45 INTO the boil (in a 1 hour boil, that would be 15 before its done) or is it with 45 mins TO GO in the boil.

I am inclined to believe it is the latter, since I would assume the recipes would read in ORDER of additions, leading me to believe that 15 min's INTO the boil or 45 REMAINING, I would add the first hop addition of .75.

Next then with 15 Min's remaining I would add the .25 oz addition.

Sorry...but just wasn't clear to me and don't want to screw it up.

Tx,

Brian

Gack said:
I've looked around through the newbie and FAQs and didn't see this information, but what I am a bit unsure on...is reading recipes in relation to boil time additions.

For example...if I see this:

.75 Hallertau @ 45
.25 Hallertau @ 15

Is that:

.75 ounce at 45 INTO the boil (in a 1 hour boil, that would be 15 before its done) or is it with 45 mins TO GO in the boil.

I am inclined to believe it is the latter, since I would assume the recipes would read in ORDER of additions, leading me to believe that 15 min's INTO the boil or 45 REMAINING, I would add the first hop addition of .75.

Next then with 15 Min's remaining I would add the .25 oz addition.

Sorry...but just wasn't clear to me and don't want to screw it up.

Tx,

Brian

You add .75 ounces with 45 minutes left in the boil, then your next addition is added with15 minutes left in the boil

I use a digital timer, and set it at 60 when the boil starts. It runs backwards to 0. That makes it easy to see the time on the clock and to add the hops. When it says "45", I had the 45 minute hops, when it says "5 minutes", I add the 5 minute hops. A timer is very helpful!

Back