Mysterious Fermenting Giant -- What should I do??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericwatkins_utk

Reaction score
First of all, I would like to start out by thanking everyone on this homebrew community. I started brewing last summer and this place has been a wealth of knowledge for me.

On 2/21, I brewed a batch of Midwest Gran Cru (Extract) - a Blue Moon-esque Belgian. After some confusion between the ingredient list vs what was included, I opted to put in the entire 2lbs of honey the kit arrived with instead of the 1 lb that brew sheet hinted towards.

After cooling, I too a SG reading and it was off the charts - 1.075 ish. I decided I would add some extra water and bring the volume up to about 6 gallons, but this only got me down to about 1.065, so I put in my starter batch of Activator Belgian Wit yeast and stored it away.

2 days later it was happily bubbling along at about 61 F. I ended up with a hughe frementation, blow off, and a carboy so caked that I couldn't even see the beer. Much to my surprise, it bubbled for about 2 weeks continuous before slowing down, but the krausen never really fell. I decided then to take another reading and move it to a 2nd carboy. When I took the reading, it had only fell to about 1.040 and the fermentation seemed to be stuck. So, I transfered, repitched with some Notty I had stuck back and stored it away again.

2 days later, the krausen rose again and it continued to ferment another 2 weeks continuous before slowing down. Again, the krausen never really fell. I took another reading - 1.017. I figured this was going to be about as close to target as I would get so I racked to a 3rd carboy for some conditioning.

Much to my surprise, I went down there yesterday to peek at it, and krausen has risen again and it is bubbling again. 5 weeks, nearly continuous.

What's going on? What should I do?

Eric.

Honey is a notoriously slow fermenter (check out the mead forum). Let this beer sit for awhile and stop racking it around until it's finished. This beer style isn't known for it's clarity anyway ;-)

Sounds like you'll have something quit tasty ~6.5% range.

-ZB

Thanks for the advice. First time adding honey and I didn't realize it was such a slow fermenter. I'm going to take another reading this weekend and hope for something around 1.012. I was really hoping to bottle on saturday. =-/ Waiting is the hardest part...

Waiting is always the hardest part. I'm waiting on my freezer to be free so that I can begin brewing my Sam Adams Boston lager clone. I thought I'd be able to brew it 2 months ago. Still waiting. But the solution for me is to have a lot of other brews ready to drink! I got caught up in 2008 by brewing 8 ales in a month. Those lasted a good while. I want to say I just finished the last of them a few months ago!

I got caught up in 2008 by brewing 8 ales in a month. Those lasted a good while. I want to say I just finished the last of them a few months ago!

8 in a month! Wow. I believe that is the right idea though. I made my starters last night - Ive got a India Brown Ale planned for friday, and a double batch of Dunkelweizen planned for saturday with the father in law. Hope that will get me ahead some. Glad I bought 4 more carboys on craigslist last weekend, because I've got my doubts my Grand Cru will ever stop bubbling at this point in order to free that carboy :drunk:

I had done an extract batch using WLP400 about 2.5 months ago. The beer took forever to ferment down from 1063 to 1007. It had 2.5lbs of honey in it. It was a delicious beer though.

Back