Mysterious Bubbles Return at Day 13!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schraderbrau

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I have my first ever batch of homebrew in my primary fermenter. Today is day 13, and I was planning to bottle tomorrow. Bubbles completely stopped around day 6, and gravity readings at day 7 and day 10 were consistent. Everything seemed to be going smoothly, and just now I was sitting in my office on the computer (where I also have my fermenter), and suddenly I hear a familiar "blurp" from behind me! Sure enough it was the fermenter, and now it's bubbling about once every 3 or 4 minutes. Weird! What's going on?

Now for the confessions:

• This was a kit beer. I started before I had ever even heard of this forum, and I followed the instructions on the box. I was very thorough with my sanitization, but I just mixed the extract with boiling water directly in the fermenter as the kit said. I also added 2 lbs of corn syrup as per the kit.
  • I don't have AC in my apartment, and it's summer here in Australia. The temp has been fairly consistent, but the beer has remained above optimal temps, at about 75 degrees F.
  • The temperature has maybe gone up about 1 or 2 degrees over today and yesterday.

Luckily I DID find this forum, right before I was about to bottle on day 5. That's what convinced me to leave it in fermentation for a full 2 weeks.

So any idea what's happening? A little "conditioning" reaction? Delayed primary fermentation? :confused:

Sometimes the bubbling from airlock occurs because the beer warms up a bit and CO2 is coming out of solution. From what I gather the only sure way to be sure fermentation is done is if you have consistent FG readings a few days apart.

Is it about to rain? Change in atmospheric pressure can allow dissolved CO2 to be released. Change in temperature also. Warming wort can hold less CO2.
Are you brewing a saison? 75°F is a fairly high temperature for most ale yeasts. I would give this one three weeks in the fermentor to give the yeast time to clean up flavors.

How would you like some snow. We have a bit to much here.

Is it about to rain? Change in atmospheric pressure can allow dissolved CO2 to be released. Change in temperature also. Warming wort can hold less CO2.
Are you brewing a saison? 75°F is a fairly high temperature for most ale yeasts. I would give this one three weeks in the fermentor to give the yeast time to clean up flavors.

How would you like some snow. We have a bit to much here.

Hm, interesting, maybe it is CO2 bubbling off. Or maybe the non-optimal brewing temp caused some weird behavior from the yeast.

Honestly I just want to get this one out of the fermenter so I can start my next batch and do it properly! The kit was a gift from my brother in law in the US who doesn't know Australian beers, and it's a Toohey's beer kit. He thought Toohey's was some kind of craft beer but it's actually cheap pub beer :D Can't wait to make a proper IPA with American hops, as they're hard to find here.

Good luck with all your snow, I might head down to the beach for a bit ;)

Latest posts

Back