mypin PID to run a DC Fan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mona

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a question for all you electric pros. I have a mypin PID TA6 SNR that have in my control box. It goes to a ssr which controls a hot plate for a RIMS setup. Works like a charm. In the control box I have a dc computer fan that I am currently running by splicing into a ac/dc wall plug in adapter. I would like to run it from the PID. Does anybody know if that i possible? I know that the PID to SSR is DC but I do not want the fan to fluctuate as much as the PID does.
Hope this make sense and if anybody knows how to make something like this to work.
Cheers!
Aaron

I don't think you're gonna have a good time trying that. The fan would pulse with the PID settings, that's pretty much unavoidable. Plus those mypins put out 24v DC with a super low max current, it takes almost nothing to fire an SSR

Are you using the alarm at all? If you want it to run when the PID is "typically" firing the SSR you could set the alarm to come on at a low temp. Then it would basically run anytime the PID is on.

I do not plan on using the alarm at at all. If I have a 12 volt fan will it burn up quickly if the alarm puts out 24V? I was wondering if the alarm was DC. I am going to try it this weekend, tonight I hope but will have to finish up the wiring, and then I will report back the results.

I do not plan on using the alarm at at all. If I have a 12 volt fan will it burn up quickly if the alarm puts out 24V? I was wondering if the alarm was DC. I am going to try it this weekend, tonight I hope but will have to finish up the wiring, and then I will report back the results.
The alarm output is just a set of NO relay contacts (i.e. a single pole, single throw switch.) You connect whatever voltage you want, AC or DC, to one of the alarm terminals, and then connect the "alarm" device to the other alarm terminal. The second terminal of the "alarm" device connects to the power supply ground or neutral.

Brew on :mug:

The alarm output is just a set of NO relay contacts (i.e. a single pole, single throw switch.) You connect whatever voltage you want, AC or DC, to one of the alarm terminals, and then connect the "alarm" device to the other alarm terminal. The second terminal of the "alarm" device connects to the power supply ground or neutral.

So I have to supply the voltage to the alarm terminal? I do not have a DC supply in my box yet. I was hoping that the PID could supply that and I would not need to wire DC in. I know that the AC / DC circuit boards are really cheap and I could just buy a couple of them just trying to make what I have work.

So I have to supply the voltage to the alarm terminal? I do not have a DC supply in my box yet. I was hoping that the PID could supply that and I would not need to wire DC in. I know that the AC / DC circuit boards are really cheap and I could just buy a couple of them just trying to make what I have work.

As stated previously, you cannot run the fan with the SSR output of the PID. If you want to control a DC device with the alarm relay, you need to put a suitable DC supply in your panel.

There are 120V muffin fans available. If you use one of those, then you just need to hook one of the 120V hot lines into the alarm relay.

Latest posts

Back