My wife made a carboy cover- What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all.. My wife made me this cool carboy cover about a year and has since made about a dozen or so for various homebrewing friends who liked them. They are double flannel lined (so have insulating qualities) and she can make them in any pattern. I told her she should make a few and throw them up on ebay and try to make a few bucks. She says no one would want them and it would be a waste of time. so what do you guys think? Would you ever buy one? What if you had different patterns to choose from? Any suggestions to make them better? If she were to ever sell them she says it would be around $15..

PS- I am having some issues uploading pictures so I hope this works

I like them, and considering the amount of time/money needed to list one on ebay what have you got to lose?

I like it and have a suggestion: a pocket, possibly even a clear one, on the side. Something to put the name of the brew, recipe and brew notes in.

Oh that is so cool!!!! A Carboy Cozy!!!!

I think you have a winner, if you decide to start selling them.

Just make them machine washable so you can wash it easily if there's a blowoff.

It also might be cool if some of them were lined or insulated for folks who need a few extra degrees, like those of us who ferment in lofts where it is hard to sometimes keep the fermenters warm enough in the winter.

Hey all,

thanks for the suggestions.. Please keep them coming.. The interest so far has peaked her interest a little.. Help out a fellow brewer.. If enough people say they are cool and she makes some to sell, then she may have the extra money money to buy me the stainless conical fermenter I've been eyeing.......

Seriously though, the ideas are great.. If you have any more suggestions, let me know!

Aww, that's so cute! :D I usually just use hoodies, since the light won't touch my beer until I leave it on the counter overnight to keg. Fortunately, I have enough so that the light doesn't hit my beer and I still stay warm.

How do they close ? Is there a zipper going up the length, or one attaching the top to the bottom ?

If you add pockets, you need to add one of those stitched name tags!

Such as:

stitch_detail.jpg

But instead of Brian, put Beer!

Or Ale, Lager, Stout, etc. You get the point

Tell here nice job:rockin:

Those are slick.

If she could make them for $15 and have it worth her time I don't think there would be any issue selling them pretty quickly. If she's going to do it she should start accepting orders now - christmas season is upon us.

What would be a really slick addon is to have a carboy hauler type apparatus which will slip through holes in the cover. Sell the package for $30. Not familiar enough with either the cover or the hauler to say whether it'd be possible to integrate the two.

I'd buy one. What other type of designs you got? :)

Nothing yet Deathbrewer.. I am still trying to talk her into making these things though the interest in the thread has peaked her curiosity and she is now doing some shoppping around for materials, etc... If she actually makes some I will be sure to let everyone know.. I told her she should make a few to give to some of the guys who post a lot on the forum (like you and Revvy and Yooper, etc).. Seems like that would be a good way to advertise.. If you guys like them, then you can spread the word! I also said she should donate a few to homebrewing contests as prizes (with her card attached to each carboy cover of course!).. I think I am way more excited about it than she is.. LOL...:D

If she can make something to compete with this:
https://morebeer.com/view_product/16588

That would be AWESOME.

While these are cool:

phpThumb.php

they serve more of a purpose for moving carboys around and actually can be in the way if you want to see what's going on.

The OPs snuggie:

carboy4.jpg

is simply to keep light out and perhaps trap some heat.

free insertion fee's on ebay for 3 items a month, you have aboslutely nothing to lose.

A few years ago I randomly placed something on ebay. Spent the next 4 months selling like crazy, and made close to 4k. All from buying at costco and re-selling. If you have a niche item ebay is full of idiots who will pay twice what it's worth :)

Good luck, I think it's a great idea.

Since you seem to have a lot of intest, why not figure out how much one ships for, how long it takes to make one, and then make them to order advertizing on brewing "Clasified" secitions first. Figure out your base design, what features you want to offer and a "Make to order, customizeable" situation. Like they do with cloaks and other specialty items. If you live near a brewstore you could see if they have anything and sell them at your local brew store on commision or something and advertize. Show up at a brew show or two and boom. You are just a few short steps from needing your own website or something.

Since you seem to have a lot of intest, why not figure out how much one ships for, how long it takes to make one, and then make them to order advertizing on brewing "Clasified" secitions first. Figure out your base design, what features you want to offer and a "Make to order, customizeable" situation. Like they do with cloaks and other specialty items. If you live near a brewstore you could see if they have anything and sell them at your local brew store on commision or something and advertize. Show up at a brew show or two and boom. You are just a few short steps from needing your own website or something.

Yes, this is exactly what I have been trying to tell her! I really do think I have her almost convinced to make a few (maybe with some of the modifications mentioned in this thread) and just see what happens.. Her main concerns are that she actually enjoys making them now for friends, etc and that if for some reason they did really take off, that she would not enjoy it anymore it because then it's "work"... She is also concerned that if she got a ton of orders for them that she may not be able to fill them immediately.. My answer was simply "you never know until you try"... I am still working on her.. I know that if I can just get her to make 5 or so and get them sold on ebay before Christmas, she will become aware of the profit making potential and go all in.... Especially now that I have proved to her that there is indeed at least some interest...

I really like the idea of the pocket sewn in the side to keep brew notes, hydrometer etc.. And possibly the velcro seam on the side to check out your thermometer tape.. But the thing lifts on and off so easy that I think it might almost make it more complicated to put a seam in the side for the tape.. I can forsee fumbling around with the velcro, peeking underneath, realizing that my thermometer tape is actually not lined up with seam and trying to locate it... Seems like the convenience would not work there... However holes in the side to accommodate a carboy carrier is definitely do-able. Any more improvement ideas or suggestions?

Well, consider this: for the first run, she could pick a pattern and featureset and make all of them in a single color and size. Then put them on ebay as they are made-- don't take orders--- sell them as they are made.

This way she can:

-See if she's happy doing it in a production like manner
-doesn't need to worry about 'filling orders' because you are only sellign what you actually have.

If it takes off and she likes it you can start adding 'features' or making them to order.

If you have a niche item ebay is full of idiots who will pay twice what it's worth :)
Not even niche items. I recently purchased a foodsaver from Bass Pro Shop. It was $25 cheaper than the least expensive one listed on ePay.

I think kornkob has a good idea. A small run on ePay or in the classifieds here to gauge interest (hers and ours) would be a good test.

Pattern looks identical to a cloth diaper my Son has.

A few replies have brought up insulation. I think it would be pretty neat if you could add a couple insulated pockets on opposite sides of the cover to hold some frozen two liter bottles to help keep some temperature control in the warmer months. I think those are pretty slick and would be nice to have.

my wife is on her third beer and has promised to knit me a carboy cozy, as long as i remind her tomorrow

I'm not out to pop your bubble or be the party-pooper here, but didn't someone do this exact thing like 5 years ago?

I know my wife made me some then, but I've resorted back to my shrunken t-shirts...OK, maybe the t-shirts didn't shrink as much as I've expanded, but you get the idea. ;)

If you can sell them then go for it...:mug:

Back