My washed yeast has a lot of trub in it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmf143

Reaction score
I suspended the yeast and water in the fermenter for 20 minutes, then poured off the top into a gallon jar, suspended that for 20 minutes, and then poured off the top into 4 x 8 oz jars. Each jar has about 1/4 inch of darker material on the bottom topped by 1/4 inch of lighter material (presumably the yeast).

Is this too much trub? I harvested the yeast from a porter and want to use it in a scotch ale. Is it worth the risk to try and "re-wash" my washed yeast? Was 20 minutes the correct amount of time to wait for settling to occur?

I just started washing my yeast and had this happen to me once. What I did was gently shake the jar to get the yeast and trub back into solution, watched it settle out and when it looked like all the trub had settled, pour off the top liquid into another jar.

Worked for me and I don't think this should cause any issues. Just remember to sanitize the new jar.;)

Latest posts

Back