My very first stuck fermentation, what should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coontail

Reaction score
This probably my 15th batch of beer and have yet to ever have a problem fermentation wise but now I do, so I'm gonna need some advice

sorry.....

It's an NEIPA

OG was 1.062

5 gallons

Currently been sitting at 1.032 for 2 days

Mistakenly mashed high around 158°f

Yeast: Imperial A-20 harvested from recent previous batch and made a 1800ml starter

Overnight the yeast went nuts, a good thing I had a blowoff tube on it. The container was half full of star-san and it showed evidence of a krausen even in the blow-off container

I have a feeling I may have not introduced enough oxygen, normally I shake the carboy around but this time I didn't because of splashing into the funnel and into the carboy and just lots and lots of splashing. But anyways the day after brew day it seems pretty dead. Yeast cake on the bottom, very small amount of bubbles in wort/beer. Nothing changed today, I have to have this beer carbonated and ready by July 19 so I can't wait too long. What should I do?

A20 is a diastatic yeast. Just raise the temp and wait it out. It's also known for slowing down so just be patient.

Mistakenly mashed high around 158°f

Yeast: Imperial A-20 harvested from recent previous batch and made a 1800ml starter

How are you measuring your gravity? If hydrometer, then disregard but I always think alcohol error with refractometer when people say ~1.030.

What about your thermometer? Is it accurate, or could you have mashed much higher than 158F? I feel that 158F wouldn't lead to that much residual.

Lastly, in my experience A20 is a creeper. It explodes for 24-36 hrs then slowly chews through some more points. I let it go 2-3 weeks and it'll drop 6-8 points. What temp did you ferment at?

How are you measuring your gravity? If hydrometer, then disregard but I always think alcohol error with refractometer when people say ~1.030.

What about your thermometer? Is it accurate, or could you have mashed much higher than 158F? I feel that 158F wouldn't lead to that much residual.

Lastly, in my experience A20 is a creeper. It explodes for 24-36 hrs then slowly chews through some more points. I let it go 2-3 weeks and it'll drop 6-8 points. What temp did you ferment at?
I'm using a hydrometer and I'm using one of those 12" analog thermometers, I forget what brand but I think it's pretty accurate. I should get a nice quality instant read. I'm having it ferment at 72 degrees

I'll wait it out a few more days and see what happens. Last time I used it, granted it was a 2.5 gallon batch, it was pretty quick. Probably 4 days and never stalled

Out of curiosity do you remember if it continued fermenting without a krausen and flocculated?

If it goes a few days and there's still no change should I pitch more yeast?

I'm using a hydrometer and I'm using one of those 12" analog thermometers, I forget what brand but I think it's pretty accurate. I should get a nice quality instant read. I'm having it ferment at 72 degrees

Out of curiosity do you remember if it continued fermenting without a krausen and flocculated??

Those analog thermometers are notorious for being off. Check it in some boiling water and an ice bath.

Yeah, if I can remember right I feel like the krausen drops by like 48 hours. It kind of throws you off, because you expect it to attentuate better but it'll continue to chew it down. I'd crank that joker up to 80F. I don't think I've used it below 75F...

Those analog thermometers are notorious for being off. Check it in some boiling water and an ice bath.

Yeah, if I can remember right I feel like the krausen drops by like 48 hours. It kind of throws you off, because you expect it to attentuate better but it'll continue to chew it down. I'd crank that joker up to 80F. I don't think I've used it below 75F...
Hmm, looks I might need to go shopping...

And it'll still ferment even though it flocculated?

I would love to bring it up to 80 degrees but I have a wit with wlp400 next to it currently chewing away at the same temp

Hmm, looks I might need to go shopping...

And it'll still ferment even though it flocculated?

I would love to bring it up to 80 degrees but I have a wit with wlp400 next to it currently chewing away at the same temp

It'll still ferment. Its not a super flocculant strain, and it'll stay in suspension for a while.

Gotcha. I'd still probably go to 75F. I hate phenolic beers so I dont brew wits and the alike, but I feel like higher temps usually draw those flavors out so it might be okay for that style.

It'll still ferment. Its not a super flocculant strain, and it'll stay in suspension for a while.

Gotcha. I'd still probably go to 75F. I hate phenolic beers so I dont brew wits and the alike, but I feel like higher temps usually draw those flavors out so it might be okay for that style.
Ok, thank you guys

Really the appreciate the help :mug:

Back