My very first "Should I pitch it Thread"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PKLehmer

Reaction score
Just kidding, I've read enough on here to know not to pitch it, but we just made our first big mistake today, and I'm curious to know what you guys think will be the result.

My buddy wanted to make an American Amber Ale. Being inexperienced, I just asked him for the ingredients list and picked up everything we needed. I noticed there were only 4 lbs of LME called for in the recipe but I didn't think twice about it. I'm used to doing 3 gallon boils and 5 gallon batches. So when we finished, I went ahead and topped off the wort with ~2.5 gallons of water. When we went to take our OG reading it was 1.034. We tasted it and the closest thing we could describe it tasting like was iced tea, not a good sign for a beer.

I've been banging my head against a wall trying to figure out why ever since, and I just looked up the recipe myself and lo and behold, it calls for 3 gallon boil, and a 3 gallon batch. We basically just watered down our beer with an extra 2.5 gallons of water...

So I know we shouldn't pitch it... but for the more experienced folks, what do you think the result is going to be?

Another thought is racking it onto some honey in the secondary for a second fermentation. That is if you like that sort of thing.

I'd just let it finish out and see how it tastes. It could end being a nice session beer, or a beer the BMC drinkers enjoy. If it doesn't have a lot of flavor, throw some fruit in or dry hop it. You could also try concentrating it by freezing it and removing the ice. Let us know how it turns out.

i would agree with the lower ABV. HOWEVER, if you add the honey in the 2nd fermentation step wouldnt it raise the OG? and raising the ABV? Im just guessing from what i have read. But it will def be water down.

If you add just honey to it VS say some more LME or DME you will end up with a higher ABV, but still have a very thin beer with little flavor.

Yeah, just let it go and enjoy while mowing the lawn this summer.

Back