My ventilation..a great problem to have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Let me give an overview of my current situation. As I write this we are putting up a 40'x 80' metal shop. 30' x 40' is going to be living quarters for my family of 3. In about 2-3 years we will be building an actual home on the same property (it's on a farm). The living quarters will turn into office space and my electric brewery. The contractor is currently framing the living quarters and mentioned framing for the hood above the stove. I told him that I may go with a larger hood for brewing down the road, but for now we need just a regular hood. I would like to install a hood now that can be used for brewing later with minimal or no alterations. Putting in a 60"+ condensation hood now would look funny and not be practical. Is there a regular size hood out there that would work for now and later? Or maybe another solution that I'm not thinking of?The brewery space has 10 ft ceilings with storage above (the metal building is 18' to the eves and 26' to the peak). It will be all concrete floors.

So like my title says it is a good problem to have, but I need answers quick because the contractor is not going to stop working just for this issue. Thanks everyone.

What type of system are you planning on brewing with? If electric you can get away with a good 400-500 cfm hood over the boil kettle. Go with a minimum of a 6" vent pipe directly out side. Any hood designed for the large semi commercial residential ranges should work.

What type of system are you planning on brewing with? If electric you can get away with a good 400-500 cfm hood over the boil kettle. Go with a minimum of a 6" vent pipe directly out side. Any hood designed for the large semi commercial residential ranges should work.
I'm going to go electric and follow the plans on Kals build.

I agree with Dcpcooks to go with a minimum 6" round vent pipe to outside. That way if you change out you hood to a bigger design or put in an inline fan it should handle it. The inline fan I'm looking at is the Vortex s-800 inline fan with 728 CFMs and I'm going to build a hood or have one made for the size I need. It's an 8" fan though, a 6" pipe should work but would restrict it a bit (maybe more depending on length and elbows). To be on the safe side you could go with 8" now if your contractor can find a exterior cover for that size and just reduce it to fit a standard range hood for now.

I agree with Dcpcooks to go with a minimum 6" round vent pipe to outside. That way if you change out you hood to a bigger design or put in an inline fan it should handle it. The inline fan I'm looking at is the Vortex s-800 inline fan with 728 CFMs and I'm going to build a hood or have one made for the size I need. It's an 8" fan though, a 6" pipe should work but would restrict it a bit (maybe more depending on length and elbows). To be on the safe side you could go with 8" now if your contractor can find a exterior cover for that size and just reduce it to fit a standard range hood for now.

I really would like to get something now that would serve both purposes. Would a 48" hood be ok?

When you talk about adding the vortex fan, is that in place of the fan that comes with the hood or is it in addition to it?

For my eBIAB setup I used a three speed exhaust hood with a fan rated at 780 cfm that was capable of changing all the air in the brewroom once every eight minutes. For maximum performance the manufacturer recommended hanging the hood centered over the kettle with the bottom of the hood between 30 and 48 inches above the top of the kettle. The bottom of my exhaust hood ended up being closer to 30 inches from the top of the kettle, the smaller distance from the kettle will make exhausting the heat and boil vapors outside easier to do.

There is also a formula for calculating the cfm size of the exhaust fan based on the number of watts the heating element is rated at. Where a 4500 watt heating element divided by 17.6 equals a 255 cfm fan size. But again the distance from the exhaust hood to the kettle and the location of the hood, whether it's wall mounted or free standing, will all weigh into the final calculations.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/indoor-brewing-clearing-air.html

For my eBIAB setup I used a three speed exhaust hood with a fan rated at 780 cfm that was capable of changing all the air in the brewroom once every eight minutes. For maximum performance the manufacturer recommended hanging the hood centered over the kettle with the bottom of the hood between 30 and 48 inches above the top of the kettle. The bottom of my exhaust hood ended up being closer to 30 inches from the top of the kettle, the smaller distance from the kettle will make exhausting the heat and boil vapors outside easier to do.

There is also a formula for calculating the cfm size of the exhaust fan based on the number of watts the heating element is rated at. Where a 4500 watt heating element divided by 17.6 equals a 255 cfm fan size. But again the distance from the exhaust hood to the kettle and the location of the hood, whether it's wall mounted or free standing, will all weigh into the final calculations.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/indoor-brewing-clearing-air.html

Great info and link. Thank you! My next concern is how wide of a hood? A 60" hood over and 30" range is going to look ridiculous. 48"? I think the standard 30" is too small.

I just got the vortex S-600 fan this week. My hood from fast hood is still a few weeks from delivery. I should have the unit set up by the end of October if construction is on schedule.

I'll let you know if the s600 is strong enough to ventilate the hood. I had the hood made with two 6" openings. One is exhaust and one is the return air. My hvac guy said the s-600 should be enough to for the 8500 watts I'll have installed at .25 static pressure. I'll have only 1 90 and about 8' of run to the outside.

storytyme, yes the Vortex fan is instead of the standard range hood fan (which for brewing and cooking usually isn't enough). My standard range hood over my house stove can't keep up with anything and it's a straight 6' run right out my roof. I installed a bigger (almost commercial) sized hood at my parents house (48" wide and 8" pipe, 6' long through the roof and it sucks like a mad man. I airsealed the entire house while renovating 10 years ago and when that fan is on it's hard to open the screen door because of the suction (the next issue is return air while it's on). For your hood size you'll have to guess on what pots you'll want to use. My pots are 24" wide with the handles, so if you went with Kals 3 vessel system then you would probably want 6' of hood to cover them all. I'm going with a 2 vessel recirc system so I'll need a 4' hood.
I think your best option now is to get a standard hood for the family stove for now, then switch it out to a bigger one later when needed. That way you can either build a hood to you liking and size for the brewery or if your luck stumble across an amazing deal on one from say a closing or renovating restaurant.

Dcpcooks, I would like to hear how your S-600 works out. Are you setting up a 2 or 3 vessel system? Im going 2 vessel with one 5500 watt element so the S-800 is probably too big for my setup.

Hello everyone. Let me give an overview of my current situation. As I write this we are putting up a 40'x 80' metal shop. 30' x 40' is going to be living quarters for my family of 3. In about 2-3 years we will be building an actual home on the same property (it's on a farm). The living quarters will turn into office space and my electric brewery. The contractor is currently framing the living quarters and mentioned framing for the hood above the stove. I told him that I may go with a larger hood for brewing down the road, but for now we need just a regular hood. I would like to install a hood now that can be used for brewing later with minimal or no alterations. Putting in a 60"+ condensation hood now would look funny and not be practical. Is there a regular size hood out there that would work for now and later? Or maybe another solution that I'm not thinking of?The brewery space has 10 ft ceilings with storage above (the metal building is 18' to the eves and 26' to the peak). It will be all concrete floors.

So like my title says it is a good problem to have, but I need answers quick because the contractor is not going to stop working just for this issue. Thanks everyone.

Forgive me, but it sounds like you're going to be living in a pole barn, more or less, while you build a home. I get it, makes sense to do it this way. But in the end, your quarters will turn into an office and brewing space, so it doesn't sound like the fit and finish of that space will be much more than fairly basic. Correct me if that's not right.

But you're concerned about how a larger condensation hood would look now. Forgive me, but my guess is this will be a fairly utilitarian home in the meantime; what would it matter if the hood over the stove looks funny?

Just a thought. Good luck with your project; I'd love to have the problems you have. :)

storytyme, yes the Vortex fan is instead of the standard range hood fan (which for brewing and cooking usually isn't enough). My standard range hood over my house stove can't keep up with anything and it's a straight 6' run right out my roof. I installed a bigger (almost commercial) sized hood at my parents house (48" wide and 8" pipe, 6' long through the roof and it sucks like a mad man. I airsealed the entire house while renovating 10 years ago and when that fan is on it's hard to open the screen door because of the suction (the next issue is return air while it's on). For your hood size you'll have to guess on what pots you'll want to use. My pots are 24" wide with the handles, so if you went with Kals 3 vessel system then you would probably want 6' of hood to cover them all. I'm going with a 2 vessel recirc system so I'll need a 4' hood.
I think your best option now is to get a standard hood for the family stove for now, then switch it out to a bigger one later when needed. That way you can either build a hood to you liking and size for the brewery or if your luck stumble across an amazing deal on one from say a closing or renovating restaurant.

Dcpcooks, I would like to hear how your S-600 works out. Are you setting up a 2 or 3 vessel system? Im going 2 vessel with one 5500 watt element so the S-800 is probably too big for my setup.

Thank you for the ideas. I think I am going to go with this one as I believe it will work. http://www.prolinerangehoods.com/in...MIuauiq7fw1gIVgpO9Ch2zigduEAkYASABEgKWA_D_BwE.

The kettles I would probably use would be from Spike brewing (17.5" width plus handles).

The brewing space is roughly 850 sq ft with 10 foot ceilings. The hood above has a CFM of 900 which would be plenty I assume. Plus there is a 5' x 5' window about 5-10' from the hood as well.

Thoughts?

Forgive me, but it sounds like you're going to be living in a pole barn, more or less, while you build a home. I get it, makes sense to do it this way. But in the end, your quarters will turn into an office and brewing space, so it doesn't sound like the fit and finish of that space will be much more than fairly basic. Correct me if that's not right.

But you're concerned about how a larger condensation hood would look now. Forgive me, but my guess is this will be a fairly utilitarian home in the meantime; what would it matter if the hood over the stove looks funny?

Just a thought. Good luck with your project; I'd love to have the problems you have. :)

Thank you for the thoughts. It probably isn't a big deal for the looks, but more so to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Three vessel 1/2 bbl set up with a rims. I'll have a 3500 watt rims coil and a 5000 watt coil in the HLT and Bk.

Just buy the dimmer switch directly from vortex and dial back your fan as needed. I didn't have room to cut two 8" holes externally or I would have gone with the s800.

Three vessel 1/2 bbl set up with a rims. I'll have a 3500 watt rims coil and a 5000 watt coil in the HLT and Bk.

Just buy the dimmer switch directly from vortex and dial back your fan as needed. I didn't have room to cut two 8" holes externally or I would have gone with the s800. I'll let you know how it goes in a few weeks after it's all installed.

Awesome problem I just finished completing my electric brewing system and am trying to figure out how to ventilate my brewing area

Thank you for the ideas. I think I am going to go with this one as I believe it will work. http://www.prolinerangehoods.com/in...MIuauiq7fw1gIVgpO9Ch2zigduEAkYASABEgKWA_D_BwE.

The kettles I would probably use would be from Spike brewing (17.5" width plus handles).

The brewing space is roughly 850 sq ft with 10 foot ceilings. The hood above has a CFM of 900 which would be plenty I assume. Plus there is a 5' x 5' window about 5-10' from the hood as well.

Thoughts?

That's a nice fan. That would be perfect for cooking and brewing. Lots of CFMs in that fan, and a good duct size too

Back