My stupid friends V.S. Reality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarlessmeanie

Reaction score
I've had a lot of friends who have toured Europe and all of them say that Guinness tastes better for some reason in Ireland. I'm skeptical about this, but I've been watching Oz and James Drink to Britain and now the question is REALLY nagging at me. So let's set the record straight.

I know that beer doesn't travel especially well, per se, but does Guinness actually taste better "across the pond," or are my friends suffering from an acute case of tourist fever? Can anyone who has tried Guinness here in the states, as well as in Ireland weigh in on this?

I predict a lot of people coming here just to tell you that Guinness doesn't taste good anywhere.

But really, how different could it be?

Only way to tell is to buy a Guinness here, take it to Ireland and have a blind taste-test. I'd do it 10x just to make sure. Then buy some in Ireland, bring it back here, and repeat.

Well, since they brew Guinness in Canada, I'm guessing there isn't much difference in what you get in Ireland vs. what you get here. [Though it looks like there are sources that say that the Guinness distributed in Ireland, UK and the US, comes from Dublin...anybody confirm this?]

I predict a lot of people coming here just to tell you that Guinness doesn't taste good anywhere.

I'm expecting it too. Guinness is pretty bland, in my opinion. But the fact that I've heard multiple people tell me the same thing makes me wonder.

Guinness at the gravity bar is exceptional. Not sure why it tastes so good but it was the best pint of Guinness I have ever had. Also if you can get Guinness extra cold try it.

I have a friend that toured the Guinness brewery in Europe. He was told there that the Guinness sent to the US is not the same that is available in Ireland. I have repeated the story but have no idea what that means.

From what I have read in bit and bobs over the years, Irish Guiness is brewed in a Dublin from teh Original recipe and soured slightly with an old batch.

Domestic Guiness is brewed from domestic grains and "supplemented" with an extract for QC.

Meh. Who cares. Thre are sooo many more beers better than Guiness.

The stuff in Ireland IS different than the stuff we get in the states and that is even different than what is sent to the UK. It is because of taxes. (I am not a tax law expert and am just spewing what my poor shattered mind remembers.) The tax on alchohol in Ireland is based on ABV% so it is slightly weaker. However this tax does not apply to export products so they can boost up the alchohol to be in line with 4%-5% American beers.

I don't remember the specifics, if it had to do with the souring or the lower ABV in Ireland, but yeah - I'm pretty sure it's a slightly different recipe that's made for their domestic market versus for export.

Guinness tastes better in Ireland because, well, YOU ARE in Ireland. The ambiance (and pretty much your entire environment) is different when you're there vs here.

M_C

I'm not usually a Guinness fan but I did try it in Ireland (sort of obligated to right? ;)) and I liked it. But as Misplaced_Canuck pointed out, might have been the environment. I also had some in New Zealand and liked it better than what I've drank here in the states. IDK.

You're friends aren't stupid, it does taste better in Ireland. Does it taste different than the ones we drink here? No, but it does taste better in Ireland.

If you ask me it tasted green and young in ireland and was worse. Gets to age more in shipping i guess

underground and under the influence

Back