New to brewing? Here are somethings I learned the hard way before my beer tasted good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeastMaster

Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert I've done about about 30 AG batches and the last 10 have been far far better than the first 20. A lot of these tips will apply to extract/partial mash/biab.

When I started brewing I read a few books and jumped straight into all grain with some borrowed equipment from a friend who's beers were mediocre at best. I figured I'd get some kits off the internet and go for it. I then switched to buying at my lhbs. After many bad beers and a few lucky drinkable good ones I took a break from brewing until a coworker expressed interest in the hobby. This time around I havent had a bad batch yet.

Here's what the big changes have been.

1. Record keeping- Keep records of your beers as you brew. I include the recipe, any deviations made from the recipe accidentally or for whatever reason, target temps, actual temps, target preboil gravity if you know it, actual preboil gravity, target o.g., actual o.g., target f.g., actual gravity, tasting notes from a few different time periods, and any ideas I have about the recipes for the future. I also note down who was there for the brew day and if any of my friends particularly love the beer, more of a personal thing because I like to share my beer with people who appreciate it.

2. Measurements- This goes with record keeping. Take time to figure out your efficiency, equipment losses, grain absorption, etc. It's one less thing to take out of the equation and if you decide to start using brewing software it will allow you to customize settings specifically to your brewery.

3. Yeast- Take time to figure out how much yeast you will need to ferment well with your OG. I had a lot of off flavors the first time around that I've heard could have been related to stressed out yeast. I've started pitching the proper rates for my beers and that problem has disappeared, fermentation also takes off a lot quicker. Also a benefit to making starters a few days ahead of time is that I'll build up a bit more yeast than I actually need and store it for the next time I need it. That doesnt help my beer but it's nice on my wallet and it's cool to have my own little yeast library going.

4. Temperature control- I had a bad habit of pitching yeast when my wort wasnt completely cool yet, because my chiller setup sucks. I bought a sealed stopper for my carboy and if I cant get the wort cooled quickly I just wait a few hours with the carboy in my fermentation fridge or sitting in an ice water bath. I've read that this ok and that it's not, but it's working for me. Also I acquired a wine fridge and a carboy fits inside perfect, i cant regulate fermentation temps and cold crash now. Even if you arent willing to spend money on something like this try to be mindful of your fermentation temps. If you know your storage space is going to be 85F dont brew something that needs to be fermenting 15-20 degrees colder. Sounds simple but I know of a few people starting out that have made that mistake besides me.

I'm no expert, but these changes took my beers to the next level. If you have questions there is a great community here to help, also ask the guys at your lhbs. If they arent helpful and nice, find a new lhbs.

Find a brew mentor, if you dont know anyone who brews good beer take a bottle of yours to the LHBS and ask for some tasting notes or ask if they do classes. Most places will have no problem helping you out, the more you like the hobby, the more money they make.

+1 to all of the above, especially #3 and 4.

Also, it helps if new brewers come here and ask about doing something before actually doing it and/or do some searches of previous threads.

Many brewing boo-boos that can be easily avoided ahead of time are difficult, if not impossible, to "fix" after the fact.

Latest posts

Back