my stout is three weeks in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_GFH

Reaction score
Tomorrow I will bottle, and it's nearly three and a half weeks in the fermented. Is it too long?

I would suggest that if it has been at FG for at least a couple weeks it is PROBABLY Ok to bottle. Have you been tasting it over the past couple weeks?

Aging for a stout can take a bit of time and only taste will tell. If you haven't brewed much, tasting green beer is kinda strange and you may not know what you are tasting :)

But you should start tasting...every time you take a gravity, rack, or just every few days...it's how you learn what is good and what is bad. TAKE NOTES!!!! you will forget next week what it tasted like this week. Meticulous notes will help you make adjustments and demonstrate how taste waxes and wanes over time.

I would suggest that if it has been at FG for at least a couple weeks it is PROBABLY Ok to bottle. Have you been tasting it over the past couple weeks?

Aging for a stout can take a bit of time and only taste will tell. If you haven't brewed much, tasting green beer is kinda strange and you may not know what you are tasting :)

But you should start tasting...every time you take a gravity, rack, or just every few days...it's how you learn what is good and what is bad. TAKE NOTES!!!! you will forget next week what it tasted like this week. Meticulous notes will help you make adjustments and demonstrate how taste waxes and wanes over time.

I have been tasting it every week and it has been getting better, but I never thought of notes, great idea! :mug:

Back