My store bought sangria is fermenting ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokester

Reaction score
This is 10% abv semi sweet Carlo rossi sangria. And I've only had it 2 days. Every time I open it - which has only been 3 times so far it seems to puff out like I am opening a bottle of soda. Is it fermenting ? And am I making vinegar ? Or more alcohol ? Isn't it pasteurised ?

It will be making more alcohol, but maybe not exactly the flavor you want... If it starts tasting off, finish it quick. It does sound like maybe some wild yeast got in there. Maybe the bottle got contaminated, or maybe the barrel did. I had a batch of beer spewing out the airlock from wild yeast within 6 hours of brewing it (particularly virulent strain), though, so it's more likely a strong wild strain got into that bottle somehow, as yes, it is pasteurized.

Its tasting fine, and since I'm making a 5 gal batch of mead with Voss Kveik and its my 3rd batch, I'll bet the air in my house is filled with voss kveik. Wild yeasts cant start fermenting 10% can they ? I've not used champagne yeast in a few yrs, and not used bakers yeast - like ever. So I'm going with voss as the most likely one.

Good point... 10% is pretty high for wild. You could be spot on with that Voss theory. If it IS the Kveik doing it, that wine will get a little drier is all, since it's tolerance is about 12%.

Yea I should start a sourdough loaf right now using the world's most powerful "starter". It can jump start a corpse. To make extra "power" I will make a thin sheet of dough and circle the mead fermenter 9 times.

Back