My Sodium Benzoate Porter experiment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srpratt

Reaction score
Last year, I created a homemade porter recipe based off the most common mass ratios for the traditional recipe. It was superb. This year, I wanted to experiment a bit and make it a VANILLA porter to round out the smokiness with something sweet. I decided to use some leftover bottles of Torini Vanilla Syrup that I had around in the basement from my barista days. I added a whopping 3 1/2 cups of this syrup during the boil, which elevated the gravity.

However, when I did a taste after the primary fermentation, I got a weird salty / bitter kick at the end. The "kick" turned officially into an after-taste.

During some research, I found out the syrups had two extra ingredients besides sugar and flavor: citric acid and the yeast-killing sodium benzoate.

However...the porter did ferment well. The krausen was relatively strong, and you could taste the alcohol. Unfortunately, because my hydrometer broke, I cannot measure the change in specific gravity yet.

So, here's what I am thinking:

* I researched the mechanism for sodium benzoate's action on yeast. It's a pretty dense read but as a chemistry teacher myself I was able to follow. It changes intracellular pH which then inhibits the active site phosphofructokinase, thus reducing anaerobic fermetnation. Doesn't look pretty.

* BUT...there was some fermentation. I added 5 TB vanilla extract to hope to sweeten the taste / add body, and I'm hoping 1 - 2 weeks in secondary might clean up the flavor.

MY QUESTION:

Is there anything out there that can minimize the taste of sodium benzoate (assuming that is the culprit), even though only 75% of most people can taste sodium benzoate? I'm just in the unlucky 75%...and so was my wife, who crinkled up her nose at my brew. I'm thinking like other syrups or extracts or should I add another starter yeast to revitalize it? It has twice the solubility as sodium chloride in water (626 g / L @ 25 oC). Is there anything that can make it insoluble besides a dangerously low pH (x<2)? I would love to make it insoluble to save the beer, but I don't think it's an option...

Any thoughts on saving my sodium benzoate porter (my new trademarked name)? :)

Thanks,
Steve

Seattle, WA

Back