My simple, sexy Dubbel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Exorcisto

Reaction score
So I brewed a bizarre Enkel to build up my Ommegang yeast with the intention of brewing a BDSA. I drifted more towards simplicity and brewed a dubbel, pitching two full WL tubes of harvested yeast 24 hours after harvesting. Here's the recipe:

70% Efficinecy
80% Attenuation (based on my Enkel)
Mashed at 152* for one hour

7 lbs American Two-Row (MaltEurop)
2 lbs Toasted American Two-Row (Home Toasted, MaltEurop)
0.5 lb American Crystal 120* (Briess)

0.5 oz Sorachi Ace at 60
0.2 oz Sorachi Ace at 20
0.3 oz Sorachi Ace at 10

OG was 1.055

This was brewed and no-chilled overnight, two tubes of Ommegang yeast pitched at 65*. Added to fermentation chamber at 72*, temperature increased two degrees per day until 80* is reached.

At high krausen one lb of local raw honey was added. Tonight (24 hrs later) 1.25 lb homemade dark candi rock was added. Now it sits in primary for two, maybe three weeks. Once it's done it is to be bottled in champagne bottles and shelved for three months before I crack the first bottle.

What do you guys think?

I was thinking your OG was disappointingly low, then I saw the honey and candi. I'm interested to see how this turns out! :)

Hehe, yea... I've read in a few places that it is better to add sugar during peak fermentation than at the boil, that it makes for happier yeast. I am assuming it means less yeast is required for the fermentation, and that the yeast that does propagate eats for longer making it much happier.

I'm figuring my ABV will be somewhere in the mid 7s.

Pretty sweet about the homemade candi sugar. Did you really dip a string into the sugar water and let it crystalize?

Nice touch!

Benjamin, nah... I just brought sugar and lemon juice to hard crack, got it to my color, and poured it out on a couple cookie sheets. Set them in the snow to cool, and ouila... Homemade dark candi.

How did this turn out? (yes, I am totally necroing this thread.)

Did you heat/dissolve the candi or honey before adding it or just drop it in and assume the yeast could figure it out?

Latest posts

Back