My second receipe: La Selva IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavilan

Reaction score
Style: American IPA

Batch size 5 gallons
Boil size 3 gallons
Estimated OG 1.065
estimated FG 1.017
Estimated IBU 58.5
Color 7° SRM (a bit darker if I choose the 80l)

Extract Malt: 8 pounds of Briess Pilsen/Light LME

Specialty grains: 8 onz Flaked Rye
8 onz Briess Caramel 60L or 80l?
Specialty grains hill be boiled at around 150 F for 30 minutes

Hops: first wort 60+ mins 0.75 oz Simcoe pellet
boil 60 mins 0.75 oz Simcoe pellets
boil 15 mins 1.0 oz Amarillo pellets
boil 5 mins 1.0 oz Citra pellets
boil 1 min 1.0 oz Amarillo pellets
dry hop 7 days 1.0 oz Citra leafs
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Simcoe leafs

Yeast: Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

Any other dry yeast I can use? How would the rye flakes affect my receipe? How about the hops combo? Thanks for the feedback :mug:

Sounds good enough for me, not totally sure what the rye will do. I've definitely had some great brews with Rye and Amarillo though... As for other yeasts, you could use Wyeast 1272 if you wanted a higher FG and a bit more fruity taste.

Flaked rye is not a steepable product. It should be mashed. You have an extract recipe, so if you want rye sans the mashing, choose chocolate rye or cararye. You can replace some of the DME with sugar for added dryness/lower FG.

Your hop schedule needs work. No real need to do both FWH and 60 min, just combine them. I would recommend a simple 60/10 or 5/0/DH schedule. US-05 will be fine. Lastly, I would recommend a full volume boil if you can do it.

Changed it a bit. Ill do this receipe or change a bit if someone sugest something interesting. :mug:

Style: American IPA

Batch size 5 gallons
Boil size 3 gallons
Estimated OG 1.067
estimated FG 1.018
Estimated IBU 62.2
Color 8° SRM

Extract Malt: 8.5 pounds of Briess Pilsen/Light LME

Specialty grains: .8 onz Briess Caramel 60L
.4 onz caramunich malt 40
Specialty grains hill be boiled at around 150 F for 30 minutes

Hops: boil 60 mins 1.5 oz Simcoe pellets
boil 20 mins 1.0 oz Centennial pellets
boil 10 mins 1.0 oz Amarillo pellets
dry hop 7 days 1.0 oz Centenial

Extract Malt: 8.5 pounds of Briess Pilsen/Light LME

Specialty grains:
.8 oz Briess Caramel 60L
.4 oz caramunich malt 40
Specialty grains will be boiled at around 150 F for 30 minutes

Hops:
boil 60 mins 1.5 oz Simcoe pellets
boil 20 mins 1.0 oz Centennial pellets
boil 10 mins 1.0 oz Amarillo pellets
dry hop 7 days 1.0 oz Centennial

First, you will steep the grains around 150 F, not boil them. Second, there's no need to use both C60 and CaraMunich 40... especially at .8 and .4 oz increments. Third, there are plenty of hops which provide clean bittering other than Simcoe. If you have been unsatisfied with the harsh bitterness and low aroma of your past beers, then use less bittering hops and more late hops (or experiment with FWH). An easy fix; and it will yield better results than comparing a 24% cohumulone hop with another that is 31%.

I agree that you're wasting Simcoe if used for bittering. Of those three hops, the best choice for bittering would be Centennial, but even that would be a waste considering it has great aroma and is not so cheap nowadays either. Go with something affordable and versatile like Columbus, Summit, Apollo, Chinook, Warrior, etc. since you can use them anywhere in the boil or dryhop with great results. It bothers me when new brewers use any of the top 3 RARE aromatic hops wastefully for bittering when someone else who knows their true potential would only use them late or in the dryhop. /end rant :) Good luck on your beer!

bob, im sorry if you cant deal with my noobness. that is the reason I post a receipe before actually doing it. Feedback is always good even for people who know their ****. / end rant :mug:

How about .5 simcoe for FWH then 1 once of Warrior at 60 minutes? With this the Ibu goes to 66.9

I can also do 1.25 of Warrior at 60 minutes and the rest of the regular schedule. this will produce a 60.6 IBU

How about usin Crystal malt instead of the caramunich?

I was just being playful. Not mean :)

I'd go with 1 oz. Warrior for bittering, then add some more Warrior (or Simcoe) around 20 if you wish, and pound it out late with 3 to 3.5 oz. hops at 10 or 5 and 0 along with a 3 oz. dryhop.

You are using Crystal malt. That's what Caramel/Crystal 60 is.

no worries :D

How about this hop schedule
1 oz warrior at 60
1 oz Simcoe at 20
1 oz Amarillo at 15
1 oz Centenial at 10
1 oz Amarillo at 5
1 oz Centenial dry hopping 7 days
1 oz Simcoe dry hopping 7 days

1 oz Warrior at 60
1 oz Simcoe at 20
1.5 oz Centennial at 10
1.5 oz Centennial at 0
2 oz Amarillo dry hopping 7 days
1 oz Simcoe dry hopping 7 days

The aroma steep will give you some hidden IBUs not gauged by brewing software. You will also have slightly more IBUs if you use a portion of the extract late in the boil. I would add some sugar to the recipe to bring it up to about 1.070 OG.

about the extract, use half of it for 60 minutes and the other half with 30 or 20 minutes remaining?

I usually add it at 15 minutes to be safe. But some brewers add it at flameout with success.

Latest posts

Back