my rendition of EdWorts apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctufano

Reaction score
I bought a 1 gallon jug of tree top 100% apple juice, a packet of nottingham yeast, and ended up with regular pure cane sugar, around 1 cup worth. I couldnt find corn sugar at walmart or kroger, and didnt think to ask at the LHBS since I had read its pretty easy to come by (not in my parts apparently!)

Starting gravity was around 1.068. I didnt thief a sample, so instead sanitized the hydrometer and dropped into the gallon carboy

Heres a pic. Having trouble keeping stopper in... For whatever reason I have a feeling this is going to end up souring and getting infected, but, least its only a 1 gallon batch!

Next to it is my cream stout thats just about at 1 week in primary.

DSC_0010.jpg

Should turn out fine! If the stopper is giving you trouble, just replace it with sanitized foil. I do that for a lot of my beers and ciders. FWIW, 1 packet of yeast in 1 gallon is a lot of yeast. Make sure you cold crash that sucker before bottling or else you will end up with 2 metric tons of yeast at the bottom of your bottles!

haha amen! def planning on a cold crash :) I poured half in and stopped... and though eh.. what the hell :p

I think the stopper is workin alright now. Dried off with a papertowel. Checked this mornin, have some bubbles comin up, no krausen (dunno if I should or not eventually)

We shall see!

Latest posts

Back