My red blowing up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanyBD

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I brewed a 5.5 gallon batch a few days ago and starting yesterday it's been crazily fermenting in a fermentation bucket. It keeps filling up the airlock with what seems to be a yeasty foamy wort mixture. Obviously this isn't normal but I'm curious how to fix it/ how bad it actually is. I'm including a picture of my recipe and is appreciate any feedback. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456749006.165365.jpg

You're fine. The vigorous fermentation will only last maybe a day or two, three tops. Put a blow-off tube on there and then your air lock won't get clogged. after a few days, the vigorous fermentation will slow down and you can put the airlock back on, or you can just leave it hooked up to the blow off tube.

Your recipe doesn't look like anything crazy, but honey adds a lot of fermentable sugar, as honey will ferment out completely. That, combined with whatever yeast you might have used probably caused the crazy activity. But, like I said, the crazy fermentation will be done in a day or two, after that, it will calm down and you can go about your business as usual.

I brewed 5 gallons yesterday. and put into 6 gallon fermenter. with air lock.
Guy at LHBS said an airlock would be fine. Well looked in there this morning and had an airlock full of brew and brew on the lid. cleaned everything up and put a sanitized blow off tube.
I am glad you posted your post. it make me go check mine. If i would have left it alone i would have had sticky mess to clean up.

An overly aggressive fermentation can be part of fermenting to warm for the yeast pitched. Most ale yeasts perform best in the low to mid 60°F range.

Yeast produces heat as it works. The fermenting beer will always be warmer than the ambient temperature. The warmer the ambient the greater the temperature rise produced by the heat. A simple swamp cooler can control the fermentation temperature.

Krausen rising through the airlock can also mean the fermentor is just to small for the volume of beer.

Thank you everyone for your help. I was pretty sure it wasn't a terrible thing but I also figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I think I may have pitched a lot of yeast (I did a yeast starter) and that it might have caused the rapid fermentation.

I usually use nottingham english ale yeast and it gets pretty wild for 2 days then drops off considerably. Always use a blow off tube.I use a 2 liter soda bottle with a hole drilled in the cap (drill the hole a little bigger than your tubing so co2 can escape). I fill the soda bottle half full with water and run the tubing to the bottom .

Back