My Oktoberfest finished in 7 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrappy_dingo

Reaction score
So I brewed an Oktoberfest 7 days ago with a two stage starter of WLP833 Bock yeast. OG was 1.055 and I had it sitting all week at around 53F. Today I checked the gravity to see how long I have before I need to take it out for a diacetyl rest and measured 1.010. I was expecting something in the 20s or 30s, but it's basically finished. I took it out of the freezer and I'll let it warm up a bit for a few days. The good news is that I didn't taste any buttery flavors from the sample, so I'm not too worried about diacetyl.

I don't have a lot experience with lagers, but this sounds like a crazy fast fermentation. Has anyone else experienced a similar timeframe with 833 Bock yeast? The sample tasted good so I'm not too worried, just curious.

A couple other notes: My mash temps were a little low because I'm using a new stainless steel insulated MLT and I don't have my strike temps dialed in yet. I oxygenated with my standard procedure of 60 seconds of pure o2. As I stated I did a 2 stage starter each step being 1.8 liters.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That seems right to me. Especially with low mash temps. Shouldn't need to lager it much, since it's not dextrinous. 3-7 days should do it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Are you sure about the temperature it was fermenting at? Maybe it was a lot warmer and finished fast. Are you sure about your FG reading?
I'd still let it lager for a longer period, at least 3-4 weeks.

Back