My not so simple keezer build!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidewinder1987

Reaction score
IMG_6123.JPG
This is a dandy 5.5 chest freezer to start with

First up was a rolling base for it
IMG_6130.JPG

IMG_6131.JPG

Next it was time to start framing it in everything was done with a kregjig

IMG_6180.JPG
IMG_6181.JPG
IMG_6182.JPG

Next I attached some hardwood tongue and groove maple to the exterior it wa also built so the freezer can be removed if I ever need to from the back

IMG_6183.JPG
IMG_6184.JPG

Top and bottom trim installed and mitered
All the screw holes have accent wood plugs installed in the maple boards I have walnut plugs in the walnut boards I have maple plugs

IMG_6410.JPG

IMG_6410.JPG

Large collar built so I can set keg on the hump as well as have enough room to set glasses on the drip edge
The color was built out of black walnut with the top being maple. I originally wanted to use the lid but I just couldn't get it to work right and be at neat of a look. I did use the lid gasket seal and got a very good tight seal with it
IMG_6432.JPG
IMG_6433.JPG
IMG_6434.JPG

Got the collar clear coated and added a cool digital temp gauge to the front as well as a bottle opener
IMG_6518.JPG
IMG_6519.JPG
IMG_6559.JPG

I added some maple rail trim as well as finished my drip edge and added the tap handles when I finished this I was not happy with the tap handles or drip edge was not wide enough so I went a different route
IMG_6671.JPG
IMG_6689.JPG

This will be the new drip edge highly figured embrosia maple
IMG_6699.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6566.JPG
    IMG_6566.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 225
Set up an old monitor with taplist io to play with and try out
IMG_6585.JPG

The rats nest inside all insulated with a fan to move air around. I also have a thick class of water insulated that the temp probe from my inkbird goes into to keep a pretty accurate reading. All the beer lines used were the push on and off connector style I cant remember the name off the top of my head
IMG_6717.JPG

Big thick embrosia maple tap handles I had cnc the faucets are all intertap with flow control
IMG_6733.JPG
IMG_6735.JPG

Accent lighting while adding a mapl register cover I also had cnc instead of the white one
IMG_6738.JPG

New drip edge complete as well
As all trim pieces
IMG_6740.JPG
IMG_6741.JPG
IMG_6742.JPG
IMG_6743.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6739.JPG
    IMG_6739.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 184
cnc sign going to make on a little larger to replace it with
IMG_6739.JPG

Another picture from inside
IMG_6686.JPG

Can anyone explain why they think my one tap handle is off so much from the other two that are perfect in line they are all the same size dimension wise but the last one needs to come forward about an inch to be straight with the others
IMG_6758.JPG
IMG_6757.JPG

And it is done
IMG_6752.JPG
IMG_6751.JPG

Beautiful woodworking!

Is your freezer a model where the heat is expelled through the sides? If it is, you may want to think about some air holes so there can be heat exchange. Otherwise the "skin" serves as an insulator and the keezer will have to work much harder to cool than if the sides were exposed, bare, to outside air.

Thanks!! I ran it for quit a while previously and felt the sides often and I never felt any heat coming out I also have my ink bird set up very modest with a 5 degree swing and a 10 minute delay. From my reading before on another thread they had said that the wood was a horrible insulator and didn't add barely any r value and they stated the heat would still dissipate through the wood

Thanks!! I ran it for quit a while previously and felt the sides often and I never felt any heat coming out I also have my ink bird set up very modest with a 5 degree swing and a 10 minute delay. From my reading before on another thread they had said that the wood was a horrible insulator and didn't add barely any r value and they stated the heat would still dissipate through the wood

Actually, wood is a fairly decent insulator. Not like fiberglass or foamboard, but it's not nothing. It'll consume more electricity since it will have to run longer.

Actually, I'd have a tighter temperature range if it were me.

What you might do is monitor it over time. If you want to ventilate it, you can cut or drill a slot at the top and the bottom of the sides, and dress that up with some trim, and allow for convection to ventilate the sides. Given your woodworking skills, dressing up the vents would be easy.

Anyway, good luck, and it looks great.

Actually, wood is a fairly decent insulator. Not like fiberglass or foamboard, but it's not nothing. It'll consume more electricity since it will have to run longer.

Actually, I'd have a tighter temperature range if it were me.

What you might do is monitor it over time. If you want to ventilate it, you can cut or drill a slot at the top and the bottom of the sides, and dress that up with some trim, and allow for convection to ventilate the sides. Given your woodworking skills, dressing up the vents would be easy.

Anyway, good luck, and it looks great.

I'm still new to it and don't really understand the inkbird that well but what would you suggest for a temperature range wouldn't it run more frequently with a tighter range? I have it set at 36 with a 5 degree range now so when my water reaches 41 it kicks on until it gets to 36 if I understand it correctly

Very nice!, You put effort into the fit and finish so i feel the need to nit pick :)
I think a simple chalk board would be better than the LCD, it just doesn't go. maybe a smaller screen with analog text similar to the nice way the temp gauge is built in.
Maybe some stainless accents or drip tray.
Also i really like look of those tap handles plain, maybe even if the beveled text wasn't stained.

Very nice!, You put effort into the fit and finish so i feel the need to nit pick :)
I think a simple chalk board would be better than the LCD, it just doesn't go. maybe a smaller screen with analog text similar to the nice way the temp gauge is built in.
Maybe some stainless accents or drip tray.
Also i really like look of those tap handles plain, maybe even if the beveled text wasn't stained.
I agree with you on the monitor I just had it laying around that's why I used it I will have to come up with something. I do have a stainless drip tray it's only pictured on the last couple pics and a stainless bottle opener lol and I'm stuck with th a tap handles the way they are now lol

Nice build! I think it looks great.

As for the monitor, I like it. I'd hang it on the wall behind higher up to disassociate it with the wood, and then choose a simpler theme and colors so it doesn't stand out so much. But it looks great!

I agree with you on the monitor I just had it laying around that's why I used it I will have to come up with something. I do have a stainless drip tray it's only pictured on the last couple pics and a stainless bottle opener lol and I'm stuck with th a tap handles the way they are now lol

You've already gone beyond the point i probably would have rushed the finish work :D
It's easy to sit back and talk about the cherries to put on top.

The tray looks a little small and missing that built in look and security. Is it just for your usage?

You've already gone beyond the point i probably would have rushed the finish work :D
It's easy to sit back and talk about the cherries to put on top.

The tray looks a little small and missing that built in look and security. Is it just for your usage?
Yes just for my usage I started framing out the built in look for the tray and ik the moldings would get covered in beer and it's easier to just pull the tray out fast and clean and wipe the wood that is flat and smooth clean. I may upgrade to a larger drip tray it's barely big enough for the taps

Added some small changes moved my digital sign and made it not stand out as much added a larger drip tray and added my new sign

IMG_6999.JPG
IMG_7001.JPG

Looks like two sixtels setting on the floor. That's just what I'm looking to do. Do they fit snug down there or is there room?

Can anyone explain why they think my one tap handle is off so much from the other two that are perfect in line they are all the same size dimension wise but the last one needs to come forward about an inch to be straight with the others

Try rotating the handle 180° to see if it's the hangar bolt at a slight angle or not.

Try swapping the seal o-ring in that and another faucet - see if the problem migrates to the other faucet.

Latest posts

Back