My new toy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Well I won the bid! Should be here just in time to bottle my next batch

capper.jpg

I've got a question....may seem weird but....

It says it has some rust which I'm sure I can clean up....the only cast iron thing i've ever used is cast iron cookware should i treat it the same?

Like should I "season" my new capper? like i would a dutch oven or am I crazy?

thanks guys

hopfully bottleing goes faster now....hoping I can use twist-offs with this badboy just so I can increase my bottle collection to about 10 cases or so then start weeding out the bottles I don't want...like i've got a BUNCH of clear corona bottles bc this girl I used to work with's dad owned a bar and thats pretty much the only non-twist off people drink down here

Clean it (bead blasting would be best) or sand it well and use a solvent like brake cleaner, then paint it with a thin coat of rustoleum. For the areas that will wear paint off, because of friction, you can use some grease. Don't leave the cast iron bare. Since you don't cook with it, you probably can't "season" it like a cast iron pan.
You could paint it any color, it doesn't have to be black! Would help you see if there's paint wear/corrosion and know where to oil/grease it better, too. I was thinking red, but you get the idea. Nice looking capper, hope it works great, should last a lifetime based on how heavy built it is!

Good Lord, that looks like a car jack for a Mack truck! No really, cool capper, looks like it's seen some action. You might check the hardware place, they have a rustoleum-type paint where all you do is get it clean, and the paint is supposed to null out the rust and coat it good at the same time. I would cover the slider parts, or if you can, disassemble it and paint it then. Be sure to NOT paint the cap holder area, just keep it real clean and maybe some mineral oil.:rockin:

I think i saw that one on ebay a few time, I though about buying, but decided i would be better of spending the money else were. It would have definitely been cool to have.

Why would you possibly "season" a capper?

If it were me, I'd bead blast and powder coat it.

At a minimum, disassemble it, clean it with a wire brush, use some naval jelly (hardware store) to get the rust off, then paint it with some Rustoleum.

To hell with the capper you need to pursue the girl who's dad owns a bar! With the right moves you could end up with a father-in-law that'll give you free beer/booze for a lifetime!

Ahhh. if only my wifes dad owned a bar.

I'd run it just like it is...but that's me. I like the antiquey look. :)
Jeez, I think my Mom has one of these in the attic from her old root beer days. I'm going to have to check, it sure would beat my 2-hander.

I'd take it apart and remove most of the rust with steel wool, then grease the moving parts. I wouldn't season it.

Another alternative is a graphite stove polish. I use William's on my fireplace insert and on my smoker. It would lube the joints at the same time.

It should be painted, but will need to primed first. Paint seals and protects, but doesn't like to stick to anything but primer. Primer doesn't do anything but stick to things-it doesn't seal or protect. To get primer to stick well, clean the thing with medium steel wool and/or 400 grit sandpaper, taking time to clear away the 'dust' as you go so as not to clog up the abrasive. Then clean with lacquer thinner, or carburator cleaner, as they will 'flash-off' taking any oils that will keep the primer from sticking, with it. Not mineral spirits, or anything that will leave a residue.

Try to mask off the backside of the tower, where the two parts move together, and the front of the tower (rack and toothed-pawl in handle) where the teeth are. Prime and paint with a tough exterior paint, Rustoleum would be fine. A rattle can paint will make it easier. No reason to use any heat.

Use only a LIGHT amount of oil on the tower backside (rail) and on the front side at teeth (of rack), and at the handle pivot point.

'Seasoning' CI, like an old fry pan, only makes them anti stick, and seals the iron away from any food, to prevent a rusty, metallic taste.

Lift the handle to vertical and slide it up and down to adjust for different height bottles. Lube with chap stick or Vasoline, including inside the cap seater. Who cares about paint? Paint won't make it seat caps any better.

Naval jely works. But I use "Lime Remover" from the plumbing department. Phosphoric acid. Won't disturb the old paint if you don't soak it for days.

cool good ideas....I only said to "season" it bc cast iron pans and dutch ovens is all I've ever used in cast iron.

I might paint it with rustoleum spray paint but it'll probubly be awhile till i do that.

thanks for the ideas and I'll deffinatly lube it up.

I have an older one similar to yours. About 40 years old.
I have seen plenty of this type in my travels, and I now wonder if it would be worth my while to pick up as many as I can and sell them on E-Bay.

If you paint it, make sure to mask off the area where the cap gets compressed or you'll have a hell of a time getting the bottle out. You may even have to do some sanding in there due to rust.

I have one of these, though slightly diff. design. But mine is all cast iron and old, the paint on mine is still good though. :)

haha the ebay listing says it is stamped with "1920" on it......thats 87yrs old!!

should be here soon.....just in time to bottle my next batch

Don't paint it, Spray it down with a light oil, like WD40, give it a wipe and call it good. Stripping and painting it takes away that 87 years of life look.

Brewpastor said:
Don't paint it, Spray it down with a light oil, like WD40, give it a wipe and call it good. Stripping and painting it takes away that 87 years of life look.

Agreed all cast iron needs is oiling every now and then.

I would just clean it up, and then take a napkin with olive oil and rub down lightly every now and then. You will keep it looking good, and retain the antique value, if that matters.

Sure will....I was at HD earlier and looked around at the paints but i think your right. 87 yrs is a long time....wouldn't want to take away from that.

I think it was a $23 well spent....should last me forever

I'd just leave the rust how it is and lubricate any moving parts. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well it was shipped today so I'll know more (and have more pics) in a few days!

thanks for your ideas guys

Well it came yesterday with the mail.....I was going to take some pics but the digital camera was full!

I look it all apart and sprayed it down with WD-40 and wiped most of the crud off....lubed up the swinging part with silicon grease as well as the capper

It looks really nice now....and caps very well...even twistoffs

It's pretty cool too it says Oct.8 1920 on the side of it

I'll get some pics soon....just thought you might want to know

Back