My new toy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Beer Buster
Reaction score
look what the FedEx guy came to my door with today. Got to run to the Depot tomorrow and get a step drill to install the weldless thermosight and clean it up good. I will soon polish it up like a few of yous have done since this wont be seeing flame under it at all. It has a 3500 watt LD element. and stainless ball valve. Ill measure it also and have Jaybird whip me up a hinged false bottom also. Ill make a dip tube myself, I have everything I need to do that already left over from my MLT manifold scrap pile.
Keggle1.jpg

Keggle2.jpg

Keggle3.jpg

Good luck with the toy. Enjoy breaking into "Depot" on New years day! Just guessing they are closed.

Let us know what kind of results you get once you fire it up! It looks like it's 220v, right? I'm currently waffling between getting a 5500 watt one or maybe going with something a little smaller that will still do the job.

Have fun polishing that sucker!!! :D

Okay this is finished except for polishing this thing and that will be a few weeks most likely as I have to gather some funds up to buy the supplies to do so. I need an angle grinder and some Gator pads to do so. I did drill for the thermosight today and install that and also install the diptube that I made up yesterday which is all soldered except where it connects to the Stainless nipple. The thermometer and the dip tube are fairly close but the heater element is about 2 1/2" away from them but looks like they are all touching in the picture.
Keggle4.jpg

Keggle5.jpg

I got that thermosight from High Gravity only because every one else was pretty much out of these except for Bargain fittings but I also wanted the thermo which Bargain doesnt sell and I didnt want to dble my shipping costs. I will be placing an order through bargain fittings in the next few days though for the hightemp hose and a 3" SS nipple which he doesnt have on his sight yet!

Its hard to tell from the angle of your pics, but how close is the thermometer probe to your heating element? Seems to me like it might throw off the reading quite a bit when its on?

Its about 2 1/2" below the element. I dont think I really needed a Thermo on a brew keg but yeah, I think I probably need a shorter 1. I havet seen any shorter ones to go with these compression fittings though.

I got that thermosight from High Gravity only because every one else was pretty much out of these except for Bargain fittings but I also wanted the thermo which Bargain doesnt sell and I didnt want to dble my shipping costs. I will be placing an order through bargain fittings in the next few days though for the hightemp hose and a 3" SS nipple which he doesnt have on his sight yet!

I thought that pot looked familiar. I was in there a few months ago when they were building them.

Its about 2 1/2" below the element. I dont think I really needed a Thermo on a brew keg but yeah, I think I probably need a shorter 1. I havet seen any shorter ones to go with these compression fittings though.

Is it a compression fitting? or a screw-in npt? my guess you can use most therms with a compression fitting, otherwise...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wika-4-Bi-Metal-25-To-125-F-1-2-NPT-Thermometer-New_W0QQitemZ230415598851QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a5d70503

Very cool, that should do the job. How long will you be happy with it bringing your wort up to a boil?
Hopefully a long time, did you mean something by that question? I havent used it yet!

It is a compression fitting and didnt even come to that conclusion that I could use a screw in NPT even though I dont need that part! :drunk: thanks for that, thats most likely what Ill do then and just keep that one for stabbing my mash!

Finally got this all cleaned up and wasnt execting it to cost that much in pads and polish but its done and looks Wayyyyyyyyy better now, maybe not as good as others but good enough or me.
Picture003-5.jpg

Thanks, it sure is a nasty job doing it, I didnt eve realize i was throwing a black messy powder all around until I was done and everything was covered, good thing it was the basement!

Back