My new refractometer is AWESOME.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePro

Reaction score
First off, shouts out to Bobby for providing the refractometer! Cheap price and the guy works REALLY well!

I was able to hit all of my target gravities last night. I switched from fly sparging to batch sparging to see if I could still maintain my 80% efficiency and guess what?

I did! I'll only be fly sparging on bigger brews (more than 1.070).

All in all, even with the earthquake aftershocks, I brewed like a fiend with it last night.

I just used mine and it didn't work at all. I had Preboil gravity of 1.033 which was way off on the low side. Then post boil I get 1.030? Hydrometer showed 1.064 which is correct. What am I doing wrong?

I just used mine and it didn't work at all. I had Preboil gravity of 1.033 which was way off on the low side. Then post boil I get 1.030? Hydrometer showed 1.064 which is correct. What am I doing wrong?

Have you calibarated it? Even with hydrometers, you have to cool your sample. Even with the little eye droppers, you just run the eyedropper with the sample in it under cool water for 20 seconds.

Have you calibarated it? Even with hydrometers, you have to cool your sample. Even with the little eye droppers, you just run the eyedropper with the sample in it under cool water for 20 seconds.

+1 You'll want to calibrate just before using with some water (they say distilled, but I can't imagine regular tap water having enough of anything to make a difference) and cool the wort sample in the bulb of the pipette to 60F.

+1 You'll want to calibrate just before using with some water (they say distilled, but I can't imagine regular tap water having enough of anything to make a difference) and cool the wort sample in the bulb of the pipette to 60F.

+1 right back at you! I used some straight tap water and got 1.000 on the dot here in Richmond, VA. I can't express the importance of cooling your wort sample for accuracy.

Wow, 34 points off couldn't possibly be right. I'd do a combo of things. First, fill your hydrometer tube with tap water at whatever the calibration temp is on the hydro (probably 60F), make sure your hydrometer reads 0. Test that same sample on the refractometer and make sure it's reading zero, if not calibrate it.

If you are then reading 34 points off, you need to talk about a replacement.

I calibrated it when it arrived. I'm guessing my sample wasn't cooled enough. Even my post boil sample was a little warm. I'll give it another shot and report back.

+1 to Bobby on all his merchandise; responds and takes care of costumers! The refractometer is great. I have found that since you only need a couple of drops you don't have to fill the bulb and by the time you place the drops on the lens and place the cover to read you are at the ambient temp.

Don't make the mistake I made on my first batch - fermented SG has to be converted.

+1 to Bobby on all his merchandise; responds and takes care of costumers! The refractometer is great. I have found that since you only need a couple of drops you don't have to fill the bulb and by the time you place the drops on the lens and place the cover to read you are at the ambient temp.

Don't make the mistake I made on my first batch - fermented SG has to be converted.

Even then, it's kind of spotty post ferm. I don't very much trust it.

Hey Bobby - just noticed your refractometers are out of stock. Was thinking I would finally get myself one. When do you expect them back in stock?

Even with the little eye droppers, you just run the eyedropper with the sample in it under cool water for 20 seconds.

Or you could just put it on the refractometer and leave the lid thing off for a few seconds. When it spreads out it cools off in a hurry.

Hey Bobby - just noticed your refractometers are out of stock. Was thinking I would finally get myself one. When do you expect them back in stock?

I had already planned on a restock order but another large online HBS bought out all my stock and left me dry. I should have more mid next week if this storm doesn't delay things.

Have to be careful here. A drop of hot wort spread out thin has a tendency to evaporate quickly and change the sugar concentration.

While I agree with you, it's close enough for me and I don't have to worry about water diluting the sample either (per the suggestion of running the dropper under cool water). Guess you have to choose the lesser of two evils.

Got mine about a week ago. Tested the calibration and it was spot on. I love it for the simplicity. No need to dip a huge plastic tube in and draw off a large sample. I will check final with the hydrometer when bottling time.

Thanks Bobby, Will be back for a sight glass when I get my AG going, sadly still a ways in the future.

Love my refractometer! If fact I was so use to breaking my hydrometers that I still keep a hydrometer around just in case the refractomteter breaks

:drunk::drunk:

I'm gonna get a refractometer eventually, but right now I'm wondering--if you wanted to take a sample from a carboy for testing, do you just use the wine thief like I do for hydro readings, or is there a looooong dropper or pipette that can reach in there? If so, how do you sanitize it? Spritz with StarSan? Soak it in iodophor solution for 10 minutes?

I'm gonna get a refractometer eventually, but right now I'm wondering--if you wanted to take a sample from a carboy for testing, do you just use the wine thief like I do for hydro readings, or is there a looooong dropper or pipette that can reach in there? If so, how do you sanitize it? Spritz with StarSan? Soak it in iodophor solution for 10 minutes?

I wouldn't sample from the carboy with a refractometer. The alcohol changes the liquid density and that can throw off the reading a lot. I would just take normal hydro readings post-ferm.

A couple of brewing buddies of mine swear by their refractometers. I finally got around to using mine yesterday; have had it for months but kept using my hydrometer.

The ease of use of a refractometer pre-ferment is great. During or post fermentation, not so much. However, there are enough calculators, etc. out there that you can take a refractometer reading post-ferm and get a close idea of FG.

Buy one refractometer and it will probably last a lifetime...so shell out the few extra bucks and get ATC. One less thing to worry about.

Bottom line...refractometer has its place, but to me it seems like I will still have to use a hydrometer as well. Brew days are usually very busy so it's nice not to have to worry about a hydrometer and test jar.

JoePro said:
I wouldn't sample from the carboy with a refractometer. The alcohol changes the liquid density and that can throw off the reading a lot. I would just take normal hydro readings post-ferm.

I know it can be dicey, but I've read and heard that (as osagedr indicated) there are formulas that will make a refractometer useful for post-fermentation readings. A regular on Basic Brewing--Sean Terrill, I think?--has a formula on his web site that is supposed to help your refractometer line up quite well with hydro readings.

What I'm asking is this: how do those people who DO use the refractometer for post-fermentation readings take their samples from the carboy? Because if I need to take appx 1/2 cup with my wine thief either way, that would make the refractometer much less useful post-ferment.

Anybody know how it's done?

I know it can be dicey, but I've read and heard that (as osagedr indicated) there are formulas that will make a refractometer useful for post-fermentation readings. A regular on Basic Brewing--Sean Terrill, I think?--has a formula on his web site that is supposed to help your refractometer line up quite well with hydro readings.

What I'm asking is this: how do those people who DO use the refractometer for post-fermentation readings take their samples from the carboy? Because if I need to take appx 1/2 cup with my wine thief either way, that would make the refractometer much less useful post-ferment.

Anybody know how it's done?

Before anybody tells you to use a barrel thief, I will make your job a **** ton simpler (because you can use it to decant starters as well)

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/stainless-steel-baster.html

Also, get a 1/2 inch hose clamp to secure around the neck of the bulb. This bastard leaks kind of badly but if you seal it as best you can with the hose clamp, you'll have a much easier time.

Alright, I brewed today and was able to give it another shot. Cooled the pipette under water and got a good reading. Must have been too hot last time. Cooled my post boil sample to 60 and got 1.056. Hydrometer read 1.060. I'm guessing I average these readings or is one more accurate? I really enjoyed having another reading today. Thanks!

Alright, I brewed today and was able to give it another shot. Cooled the pipette under water and got a good reading. Must have been too hot last time. Cooled my post boil sample to 60 and got 1.056. Hydrometer read 1.060. I'm guessing I average these readings or is one more accurate? I really enjoyed having another reading today. Thanks!

If your hydrometer is proven to be accurate (tested at 60F with water) and calibrated, then that's the reading you use.

It may take practice to get the feel fro reading a refractometer. After a few tries, check your results again and then you can determine how much to adjust the refractometer. It will probably need to be calibrated, either on the unit, or in the conversion to SG from Brix (if you don't have an SG model).

Back