My new kegerator top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewski1975

Reaction score
Just wanted to share some pictures of my kegerator top build. Im real happy with how it came out. However Ill let anyone know that if you are using this bartop epoxy to follow the directions very carefully. I would have saved myself much aggravation if I had.

kegerator top.jpg

kegerator trim.jpg

kegerator stained.jpg

kegerator finished.jpg

kegerator.jpg

That looks great! well done.
I've been saving caps for a long time, plan to do something like this at some point.

So you said you had issues, what was the problem?

Yeah that lamp was the thing the caught my eye. Very nice work. my friends have always talked about doing the bottle cap top. Makes me want to start collecting.

That looks great! well done.
I've been saving caps for a long time, plan to do something like this at some point.

So you said you had issues, what was the problem?

I believe the key is to pour a 1/4 inch then let it set, then move on from there. I poured about a half inch on first shot, which makes the epoxy very hot, and bubbly, which in turn makes the guy with the plumbers torch pop the bubbles for far too long creating ridges in the epoxy. We had to sand it smooth, order more epoxy, which luckily I had enough ledge left to pour more and finish it right

I believe the key is to pour a 1/4 inch then let it set, then move on from there. I poured about a half inch on first shot, which makes the epoxy very hot, and bubbly, which in turn makes the guy with the plumbers torch pop the bubbles for far too long creating ridges in the epoxy. We had to sand it smooth, order more epoxy, which luckily I had enough ledge left to pour more and finish it right

Thanks for the info, where did you get your epoxy from?

Sadly that lamp has been stored away in my parents basement for Id guess about 30 years, it finally has a use!!

I know what you mean, This Pabst clock was in storage about 25 years. It still works, but the clock is way to loud.

Pabst clock.jpg

Great job, Brewski! Did the bottle caps try to float in the epoxy or did you do something to hold them down? Did you have any trapped air leak out and make bubbles?

What brand of epoxy did you use? You said you ordered it, can you tell me where?
I live in Alaska, and getting things up here is a PITA.

Great job, Brewski! Did the bottle caps try to float in the epoxy or did you do something to hold them down? Did you have any trapped air leak out and make bubbles?

I found that the trick is to mix up about 2 cups of the epoxy, pour it on the area that you're working then place all your caps. It will act as a glue so they don't float. In about 4 hours you then do your next coat, "which on my top was about a half gallon" followed by your last coat "another half gallon roughly" 4 hours later. The key is to make each coat about a 1/4 inch in thickness. Some bubbles will float up but you have 15 minutes to pop them with the plumbers torch before the epoxy starts to set up. Dont use the torch past 15 minutes as I did my 1st try or the epoxy gets all wavy

Back