My new cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naiek

Reaction score
Just finishing this up and have to share a pic. Have a 2 batch day coming up on Saturday, can't wait to break it in

IMAG0231.jpg

sweet, another rectangle cooler guy (me, too!) One thing I found helpful was removing the screws that secure the lid to the base. That will give you total access to the grains and make cleaning it easier.

Nice manifold, I'm still using PVC...

How did you connect the copper to the ball valve?

1.5" x1/2 in nipple. On the inside the copper female screws onto the nipple. The manifold slips snuggly into that. On the outside I have a coupler on the nipple for clearance to open the vale all the way, a close fit nipple and the ball valve

One thing I found helpful was removing the screws that secure the lid to the base. That will give you total access to the grains and make cleaning it easier.

That's a really good idea, I think I will do that

What washer did you use on the inside? 3/4 wouldn't fit flat (XTREME cooler, right?)
I fit a 5/8 SS washer (made hole bigger) to a "rubber" original "washer", but it still does't look completely flat

I'm using the rubber washer that came with it and this copper connecter. Water tight but do have a SS in the mail just for peace of mind

images.jpg

Brew day went great. Not sure about efficiency yet but have had a few home brews and not too worried aboot it

DSC00998A.jpg

how did your eff go? I have a round cool with a false bottom, but i don't have a dip tube so I draw off from the side... i think i'm having channeling issues from this. I am going to build a rectangle MLT because I want to be able to do some bigger beers like a RIS that is a 21 pound grain bill for 5 gallons... how big is your cooler and do you have the plans for your manifold handy by chance? nice build.

Batch sparge. 52 qt coleman xtreme. Not at my comp with beersmith to plug in the numbers but looks to be mid 70's%ish in efficiency.
Went with this cooler because of price (on sale for $26 locally) and size for high gravity recipes. Super smooth brew day for 2 batches. Don't have the plans. Most sections are 5.5"ish 1/2 in copper. Can post better photo of the manifold later though.

If you would post better photos or more info I'd appreciate it. Did you solder the manifold together or just push it together? Also what brews did you do today?

I soldered most of it, not all so I could clean and the connecting piece could rotate. I will post better pics and some measurements tonight or tomorrow. Brewed a Belgian Wit and BM's centennial blonde

Efficiency came in about 77.5% on the 2 batches. the non-soldered lengths are 6.25 inches. Soldered lengths are 5.25

IMAG0240.jpg

If anyone wants more/better pics please let me know, more than happy to provide anything to help another's build

I upgraded from a 5 gal to new 10 gallon round. I am using the same manifold. A little small but brewed an undead guy yesterday and all was right on target.

ForumRunner_20120416_115235.jpg

Maybe I'm an idiot but is that for cooling? That's my assumption anyways
You're certainly not an idiot, just new. As am I.

The cooler and manifold setup he has made is for all-grain brewing. It's designed to be a mash tun. Hot water and grain goes in. The cooler helps maintain a stable temp during starch conversion. Once the time is up, you open the spigot and the wort can flow through the slits in the copper pipe, but the grain stays behind. From here, you would sparge. Then discard the glob of grain and start your boil with the liquid wort.

Though he used a rectangular cooler, this is probably the most popular option.

Back