My neighbor killed my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spazzy

Reaction score
So I left my bucket fermenter out in the garage to crash cool, The ambient temps dropped to around 0, I had the garage door closed and usually our garage stays above freezing/right around freezing even when its very cold out. We share the garage with the people upstairs. They had left the garage door open and I'm pretty sure my fermenter froze at least partially (I couldn't pry the lid off last night, some condensation must have frozen the lid to the bucket)

Most of the 3 gallon batch is going in a party pig, the rest is being bottled. I have a bit of fresh US-05 yeast left, and some junk yeast from a Mr Beer refill. I'm assuming I need to add more at bottling time? How much do I need and which kind would be better?

Even at ambient temps of 0 and a garage that stays right above freezing. Your stuff couldve easily frozen anyways. What kind of yeast likes temps that low anyway? Crash cooling or not. Those suckers would have gone dormant fast.

I assume the yeast was already pitched. If you didn't encounter a block of ice I would bet that the yeast is ok. Warm it up to the mid sixties and see if fermentation starts. If not pitch the US-05, if it is enough.

Sorry for the confusion here is some clarification, the batch was done fermenting, I hit my FG perfectly and I was going to bottle today, I had crashed cooled in the past at 35 so i figured 28-32 wasn't that big of a deal to the yeast, but frozen is a big deal. I couldnt tell last night if it was partially or fully frozen

Do I need to repitch fresh yeast to bottle carbonate?

Yes, you do. When water freezes it creates little ice crystals that permeate the membranes of the yeast cells. This can lead to off flavors, and also to dead yeast. You will need to pitch something at time of bottling if you want bubbles in your beer.

Usually, the top freezes first.

The cake is on the bottom. Try pulling a bit of the cake out and making a tiny starter.

I bet it ferments. Yeasts are hearty beasties.

;)

Usually, the top freezes first.

The cake is on the bottom. Try pulling a bit of the cake out and making a tiny starter.

I bet it ferments. Yeasts are hearty beasties.

Unless he's also bottling the cake, it's the yeast in suspension that he should be worried about. Crash cooling will drop a lot of things out of suspension, including yeast. It's usually just fine to bottle condition even after crash cooling, but I wouldn't risk ending up with a sweet, non-carbonated beer just to save the few bucks that a package of dry yeast will cost. I wouldn't pitch the whole package, but I would pitch some new yeast all the same.

If the body of the beer froze, some yeast died. How much? Who knows? Why risk it?

Unless he's also bottling the cake, it's the yeast in suspension that he should be worried about. Crash cooling will drop a lot of things out of suspension, including yeast. It's usually just fine to bottle condition even after crash cooling, but I wouldn't risk ending up with a sweet, non-carbonated beer just to save the few bucks that a package of dry yeast will cost. I wouldn't pitch the whole package, but I would pitch some new yeast all the same.

If the body of the beer froze, some yeast died. How much? Who knows? Why risk it?

How much should I pitch? I have probably about 2 grams of US-05 left, would that be sufficient for a 3 gallon batch to bottle carbonate?

That should be enough. Give the bottles 10 days at 70*, and then put one in the fridge for 3 days or so and then drink it. If it's carbbed enough, put the rest in the fridge. If not, give the rest of them another week and test another one.

That should be enough. Give the bottles 10 days at 70*, and then put one in the fridge for 3 days or so and then drink it. If it's carbbed enough, put the rest in the fridge. If not, give the rest of them another week and test another one.

Yup no worries with the bottle carbing, this isnt my first rodeo. But it is the first time I froze the yeasties and lysed them open. I usually let my bottles condition for 3-4 weeks before trying them

I usually let my bottles condition for 3-4 weeks before trying them

You are a stronger man than I. Before I started kegging I would start drinking them at about the 3-4 day mark, when they were "carbonated enough." Now I have an aeration stone in my corney keg that lets me carbonate a beer in about 4 hours @ 30 psi before backing it down to serving pressure. :rockin:

Back